Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why the preference for Ball Lock?  (Read 12263 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Why the preference for Ball Lock?
« on: November 08, 2009, 09:35:34 am »
I have always wondered this but never posted it in any forum before. Why do most homebrewers prefer ball lock? Pin Lock has so many advantages over ball lock. You can't mix up the gas with the beverage post (or vice versa) by accident. Both the gas and beverage QDC come off so much easier and never get stuck (sometimes my Ball Lock kegs have issues going on and off especially when it has sat for a while). And yet, even though I have pin and ball lock kegs I find myself preferring the ball lock for some reason and I can't figure it out.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Why the preference for Ball Lock?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 09:55:28 am »
Maybe because they are easier to find? But that doesn't cover your preference at home. They are certainly more sturdy and the QDs are better. Until recently the pin-locks included metal fittings. I use pin-locks for fermenting because they are shorter and fit into my little fridge better. And I can fit more ball-locks into my serving fridge because they are a little thinner. I just found out that there are 2 different sizes of "5 gallon" pin-locks and mine seem to be a little bigger than my ball-locks. Some day I'll get around to measuring them.
Brew on

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 10:11:46 am »
Yeah, I think it is because they are a lot easier to come by. Myself, I use pin, because they just work so much easier in my setup. I had a couple balls, but took them back to the LHBS, and swapped them for pins. So much easier to use, IMO.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline smurfe

• Cellarman
  • Brewing on the Bayou
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 11:41:20 am »
I started out with Pin Lock. Here a while back I came across a good deal on a bunch of Ball Lock kegs so I switched basically so I would be compatible with everyone else as there are times I swap kegs with fellow brewers.

I have to say I really prefer the Pin Lock myself as well. We have a Coca Cola plant here so it is actually not hard at all to find Pin Locks here. Coke even still uses them at some accounts around here. I took my daughter to her favorite ice cream shop after school a while back and the Coke driver came in with a dolly full of Pin Locks for the shop/
I cook and I brew down on the bayou

Swampwater Brewing
Gonzales Louisiana

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 12:34:36 pm »
One of my client radio stations is owned by the local Dr. Pepper Company. All the free cornie kegs I want. They are ball lock . .

That's why!   :D
Just brew it...

Offline onthekeg

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 01:09:42 pm »
I like pin locks, but I wish they had a pressure relief on the lid like the ball lock units.  So much easier than using a spare gas in on the empty kegs all the time.

Offline woody

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 03:13:37 pm »
Pin locks rule! 
I ended up getting some pin locks for free, so that's what I use.   The parts aren't as easy to come by, but they're still relatively easy to find.   No problem with not having a manual pressure relief valve, I just depress the gas poppet with a little screw driver (or whatever is handy)    When it comes time to increase my keg collection, I'll probably buy more pin locks just so I don't have to buy different disconnects
I believe in a society with a ruling class.   Cause I rule

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 06:04:06 pm »
I like pin locks, but I wish they had a pressure relief on the lid like the ball lock units. 

Huge +1!!!
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 07:04:21 pm »
Pin locks rule! 
I ended up getting some pin locks for free, so that's what I use.   The parts aren't as easy to come by, but they're still relatively easy to find.   No problem with not having a manual pressure relief valve, I just depress the gas poppet with a little screw driver (or whatever is handy)    When it comes time to increase my keg collection, I'll probably buy more pin locks just so I don't have to buy different disconnects

Some do, some don't. Most of mine come with relief valve.

Offline woody

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 07:18:19 pm »
Most of mine have a relief valve, just not the keychain type tht you can manually release   
I believe in a society with a ruling class.   Cause I rule

Offline gail

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 07:24:38 pm »
All of mine also have a relief valve, just like the couple of 5 gallon ball lock kegs I have.  I got the pin lock kegs only because they were on the 3 gallon kegs I bought (easier to lift into a chest freezer).  I do prefer the pin locks for security and ease of use, not to mention the smaller size.  For me, the only minor inconvenience was in having to have two kinds of fittings.
Gail

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 07:26:54 am »
I use ball lock because I got on a board full of people adamant that this was the way to go. More people sell them, and therefore parts and connectors for them too. And since I've never even seen a pinlock, I don't know what I'm missing and am happy with what I have.

-OCD
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 08:20:06 am »
I use ball lock because I got on a board full of people adamant that this was the way to go. More people sell them, and therefore parts and connectors for them too. And since I've never even seen a pinlock, I don't know what I'm missing and am happy with what I have.

-OCD

Next time you accidentally put the gas line on in the "Out" post on a beer that has been lagering for 4 weeks and you blow sediment all up into your beer you will know.  ;)

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 10:55:13 am »
[Next time you accidentally put the gas line on in the "Out" post on a beer that has been lagering for 4 weeks and you blow sediment all up into your beer you will know.  ;)
Been there, done that.
Brew on

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 01:57:54 pm »
I got started on pin locks but switched to ball locks soon thereafter for the reasons stated here earlier.....way, way easier to find ball lock kegs compared to pin lock kegs.  I own 2 pin locks and 8 ball locks.  My two pin locks do not have pressure relief valves.  I still use 'em, though.