Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Firestone Keg & Plastic Dip Tube  (Read 13417 times)

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Firestone Keg & Plastic Dip Tube
« on: November 13, 2009, 09:36:41 am »
Anyone ever drill out the Gas-In post of a Firestone Keg that had a plastic dip tube and replace it with a stainless steel dip tube?  How did you do it and did it seal okay afterwards?  Thanks!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Firestone Keg & Plastic Dip Tube
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 11:25:24 am »
I haven't but know others have. I think it worked well.
Brew on

Offline tony

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 07:33:40 am »
When I got my firestone kegs, I found a place in Ca that had parts. I got a few extra
in dip tubes, so I wouldn't have to worry about finding them later. I'm in the process
of trying to find a local source of posts, poppits and lids as the local Pepsi bottler
here are still using corny kegs. They are in the process of changing over to the
newer way of dispensing.
I just haven't had the luck of getting to the scrap dealer when they have a load of kegs
so I could get some cheap parts.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 09:52:31 am »
A guy in our club told me recently that you don't even need that gas diptube.  I haven't tried it without, but he generally knows what he's talking about.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 10:39:18 am »
How would that work? I think the gas diptube basically holds in the O-ring, so it only needs to be a couple mm long. Pin-lock gas diptubes are very short. So maybe he could cut his diptube to just fit the bigger top of the hole.

CHI company in Calif. is ordering more. Don't know how long that will take.
Brew on

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 12:15:31 pm »
How would that work? I think the gas diptube basically holds in the O-ring, so it only needs to be a couple mm long. Pin-lock gas diptubes are very short. So maybe he could cut his diptube to just fit the bigger top of the hole.

In the ones I've got, the o ring sits on top of threaded receptacle that the dip tube goes into. Although I haven't tried it, it looks like the o ring would just sit on top of that and the post would hold it in place without the diptube being necessary.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 12:59:51 pm »
Verry interesting!
Brew on

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 01:13:30 pm »

In the ones I've got, the o ring sits on top of threaded receptacle that the dip tube goes into. Although I haven't tried it, it looks like the o ring would just sit on top of that and the post would hold it in place without the diptube being necessary.

I'd be less apt to get beer in my lines that way  >:(

I've chopped down a few but still have a few more to do.

Of course now that I dont take kegs apart to clean them anymore that task may have to wait.

PS Gotta get pics of my cleaning system posted.

Here is the gist of it though:

I have a submersible pump for re-cirulating ice water through the IC chiller.

Looking at it one day AND a pile of kegs I said "self, there's got to be a better way"

Tube here , QD there, T here and voila!

Now I take the lid off the corney, stick it in a big pot containing the pump and some Oxyclean solution.
Start up the pump and run Oxyclean into the QD's on the IN/OUT of the keg
Once the keg is full I disconnect the gas post and let it run in the bottom of the keg via the BEER POST and out the top of the keg.

EDIT added picture (I'll put a post in pimp my equipment or something)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 01:28:46 pm by babalu87 »
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 02:57:01 pm »
The stainless dip tube does fit in the hole for a short length. So what some of you have said is to cut the stainless dip tube short enough to fit in the hole before bottoming out.  Don't see why that won't work and I don't have to drill out the post.  I'll try that.  Thanks!!! :)
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline tony

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 01:14:15 pm »
And another way to do it is here http://hbd.org/uchima/kegging/kegadvent.html

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 11:52:44 am »
Follow up:  I ended up cutting a stainless steel In/Gas dip tube to about 1/2" long.  Let it sit because somewhere I remember reading stainless steel needs time to air cure after being cut??  Put an o-ring on it, some keg lube and all is well. Eazy Peazy!!  Plus not I don't have to go hunting for rare parts...