Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stone Cali-Belgique OR Belgian IPA Yeast Selection  (Read 6934 times)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Stone Cali-Belgique OR Belgian IPA Yeast Selection
« on: November 25, 2012, 03:31:31 pm »
Hey guys, I'm aiming for a beer similar to Stone's Cali-Belgique, their Belgian IPA offering.

Yes, I'm reading Steele's IPA. That being said, he mentions in passing that Cali-Belgique is the Stone IPA wort fermented with Belgian yeast. Given that the recipe is somewhat given for Stone IPA in the back of the book, I've worked this out for my system:

11 lb Pale Malt (which should be around 4L based on the SRM he states - maybe Maris Otter or another base malt?)
14 oz Crystal 15
-----
0.75oz Chinook @ 90
0.75oz Columbus @ 90
1.5oz Centennial @ Flame Out
-----
WLP500??

My two questions are this:
1) What do you think he meant by "Pale Malt"?
2) Will WLP500 work well with American 'c' hops or is there a better alternative?

Cheers!
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline summy

• Cellarman
  • Roanoke, VA
    • Star City Brewers Guild
Re: Stone Cali-Belgique OR Belgian IPA Yeast Selection
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 04:49:27 pm »
Not sure about Stone, but Raging b**** uses WLP-400 Belgian Wit yeast.  As far as the grain goes, perhaps pale ale malt, which is a bit darker than just pale malt?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Fementing:
  *Primary -
  *Lagering -

On Tap
 *BPA
 *Denny's BVIP
 *Brunch Stout

In Bottles
 *IIPA
 *RyeIPA
 *Black IPA
 *Red IPA
 *White IPA (entered an all-IPA competition)
  *Kolsch

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 09:44:28 am »
At 4L it sounds more like pale ale than pale malt.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 08:04:00 am »

I think you're probably right on that one Denny. Is 'pale ale' malt something I can use like Rahr 2-row? I'm fresh out of plain ol' 2-row and might pick up a sack if that's the case. From what I can see, I think I could:
Kilned a bit higher than Rahr standard 2-row (3-4°L) for deeper color and flavor.
Amanda Burkemper

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 09:29:46 am »

I think you're probably right on that one Denny. Is 'pale ale' malt something I can use like Rahr 2-row? I'm fresh out of plain ol' 2-row and might pick up a sack if that's the case. From what I can see, I think I could:
Kilned a bit higher than Rahr standard 2-row (3-4°L) for deeper color and flavor.

Sure, you certainly could.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 03:21:11 pm »
I like the Achouffe yeast - WLP 550
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 02:27:51 am »
At least initially, it appears the yeast in question was WLP570 (Belgian Golden Ale Yeast).  I can't find a direct confession from Stone, but that's what seems to add up from these two sources.

First, from Craft of Stone, pg. 78...

"When we set out to make the Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale, we wanted it to have a very light color--so light that we thought the residual Stone Pale Ale mixed in with the yeast would darken the brew too much.  So we opted to grow the yeast in Stone IPA wort.  After separating out the yeast and transferring it to the tanks for the Vertical Epic Ale, we tasted the resulting Belgian-ized Stone IPA and were inspired to dry hop it with Chinook hops, as opposed to the Centennial we use for Stone IPA.  The result?  Stone Cali-Belgique IPA."

And so the recipe notes for Vertical Epic 08.08.08 at http://www.stonebrew.com/epic/Wca256c660276b.htm state...

"Yeast: 
White Labs WLP 570 (Belgian Golden Ale Yeast)
This is the first time we’d really used this yeast. It’s a good strong fermenter, produces a lot of phenolic and clove character, and doesn’t flocculate worth a damn. It was a bear trying to filter this beer. Feel free to use another Belgian strain if you want your beer to be more clear, but we liked the flavors that this strain produced!"
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 11:57:39 am »
Very good information mugwort! But WLP570... interesting.

I can't say that I can get any clove out of that yeast or 'a lot' of phenolic character. That's why I like to use it in my Belgian Golden Strongs. I love the pear esters it throws without the clove phenols that come with most Belgian yeasts. Funny because I also get that yeast up to 80* at the end of fermentation. Hmmm.

That being said, I think I'm going to have to pick up another bottle of Cali-Belgique IPA and take some serious notes this time.
Amanda Burkemper

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 12:12:05 pm »
You could always email the brewery?  Stone and Mitch are very forthcoming with most of their info, minus the AB.  I bet they can steer you in the right direction. ;)

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 02:19:37 pm »
Amanda, I would take this opportunity to split batches, fermenting half (or more) with the strain you determine as likely similar to Stone's and the other half with the strain you're wondering about.  You'd sure make White Labs a vial happier and more importantly would have two related brews that would be fun to compare and contrast.

I love WLP500 but I've also wondered if it would work with the big C hops.  Now I'll probably have to try it next IPA.  To me, these kind of musings are what lead to splitting batches and a faster acquaintance with all the amazing yeast strains out there.  Other than having so many carboys to store, I have no regrets.
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 11:20:53 am »
Amanda, I would take this opportunity to split batches, fermenting half (or more) with the strain you determine as likely similar to Stone's and the other half with the strain you're wondering about.  You'd sure make White Labs a vial happier and more importantly would have two related brews that would be fun to compare and contrast.

I love WLP500 but I've also wondered if it would work with the big C hops.  Now I'll probably have to try it next IPA.  To me, these kind of musings are what lead to splitting batches and a faster acquaintance with all the amazing yeast strains out there.  Other than having so many carboys to store, I have no regrets.

Funny you mention that. I was planning on doing somewhat of the same thing. Splitting a 10 gallon batch of Stone IPA wort into WLP007 and WLP500.

Carboy storage isn't the problem for me right now, it's carboy moving! It's only when you move that you realize just how much stuff you really have...
Amanda Burkemper