Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Two Questions  (Read 5076 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Two Questions
« on: October 23, 2012, 03:07:35 pm »
1. The recipe I am working on calls for 2 oz. of Sweet Orange Peel.  I have Dried Orange Peel from a spice company.  On the jar it says it is equivalent for volume measurements for zest (1 tsp.=1 tsp.), but doesn't mention weight.  Anyone have an idea of how much dried peel is equal to 2 oz. of fresh?

2. I understand that one can use Lactic Acid to lower pH, but that there is a flavor threshold, over which one begins to taste the Lactic Acid, so any additions need to be under that.  But what I don't know is the ratio.  For a 5 gallon batch, what is the max I can use without affecting the taste of the beer?

Thanks, Steve
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Two Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 03:16:27 pm »
1. The recipe I am working on calls for 2 oz. of Sweet Orange Peel.  I have Dried Orange Peel from a spice company.  On the jar it says it is equivalent for volume measurements for zest (1 tsp.=1 tsp.), but doesn't mention weight.  Anyone have an idea of how much dried peel is equal to 2 oz. of fresh?

I would guess that up to 90% of the peel's weight is water. If that were true - 0.2oz dry = 2oz fresh.  Most recipes that call for dry orange peel (although most are for bitter) use 0.5 oz.

Don't know about lactic acid.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 04:00:45 pm »
Most recipes that call for dry orange peel (although most are for bitter) use 0.5 oz.

You want to be sure that you have dried sweet orange peel.  I think what I have at home is dried bitter orange peel.

The differences are obvious.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 04:10:42 pm »
What is the purpose of the lactic acid? Flavor or are you wanting to affect the mash pH?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 06:19:31 pm »
What is the purpose of the lactic acid? Flavor or are you wanting to affect the mash pH?

Mash pH.  I want to avoid the flavor of lactic acid.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 07:05:03 pm »
Some people are probably more sensitive to the lactic flavor than are others.  I make a lot of light German lagers and treat my mash using lactic (88%).  On my German Pils, I use 5.2 ml of lactic to 11.5 gallons of mash water followed by 3.6 ml in 7 gallons of sparge.  After boil off and losses, I end up with around 11 gallons to transfer to the serving kegs and don't detect any sourness from the lactic in the finished product.   
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 07:18:49 pm by dcbc »
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 07:07:08 pm »

If you're not using Brunwater or some other similar water adjustment software/spreadsheet, I highly recommend doing so. This will get you in the right ballpark for any necessary acid additions.

I highly doubt that the amount of lactic acid needed to get your mash pH down to the 5.2 range is going to leave a detectable flavor.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 07:19:30 pm »
Worth mentioning that the above example I gave was calculated in Bru'n Water 1.13.
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 07:19:55 pm »

Ha ya'll beat me to it!

May I suggest:

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mash_pH_control
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 01:45:45 pm »
Just a follow-up here.  I threw caution to the wind and dumped the whole bottle (1.9 oz.) of Spice Islands dried Orange Peel into the boil (at 5 minutes to the end of the boil) for my 5 gallon batch.

The beer is just now ready to drink and the orange flavor is good.  Not too much - not too little.

Steve
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 01:58:08 pm »
Well there you go!

Happy it turned out well. Almost always does...