General Category > All Grain Brewing

Drink IPA's Fresh!

<< < (2/9) > >>

redbeerman:

--- Quote from: hopfenundmalz on November 26, 2012, 06:49:23 PM ---I agree that American IPAs need to be consumed fresh.

If you brew a British IPA with a large charge of EKG (at least a pound for 10 gallons), Maris Otter, highly sulfate water, and British Ale yeast, it is harsh and unpleasant when young. Let it sit in the cellar for 6 to 10 months and it becomes a thing of beauty. You can then dry hop to get the fresh hop aroma. It has become something I do every year now.

--- End quote ---

+1

davidgzach:

--- Quote from: hopfenundmalz on November 26, 2012, 06:49:23 PM ---I agree that American IPAs need to be consumed fresh.

If you brew a British IPA with a large charge of EKG (at least a pound for 10 gallons), Maris Otter, highly sulfate water, and British Ale yeast, it is harsh and unpleasant when young. Let it sit in the cellar for 6 to 10 months and it becomes a thing of beauty. You can then dry hop to get the fresh hop aroma. It has become something I do every year now.

--- End quote ---

+1.  That makes a lot of sense.  I also like to drink my APA's within a few weeks.  There is definitely something about it.  But I like the aging of the British IPA's.  Making one shortly....

Dave

hopfenundmalz:
If you read through the Mitch Steele book IPA, one can find that the British IPAs were 6 months to a year old when they were put on the ship to India, then they went for another 6 months.

One thing though, British IPA that has been aged and then dry hopped (or not) will not be confused with a fresh American IPA when you drink it. I do like both styles.

liquidbrewing:
Thanks for all the comments.  I agree about dark malts tasting better with a little age.

I only brew American style IPA's, so I never use British yeast or hops in them.  But I do understand about the whole British IPA thing and how they were traditionally brewed and consumed.

goschman:
What is everyone's definition of fresh?

I am just curious. I prefer slightly complex and maltier grain bills for my IPAs. It seems to take some time for the flavors to come together. Mine seems to be the best after a month in the keg or bottle although I would assume some of hop character get subdued.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version