General Category > All Grain Brewing

Kettle Mashing Question

<< < (5/5)

ckpash88:
Well I took my first reading of the batch made on the new equipment the OG was 1.076 and the final was 1.034 should have been 1.012-1.018. So I missed my target I think I was on the hot side. I sampled it and it was a little thick but tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oly:
Reviving an old thread here, didn't see this particular question so here goes.

I wish to direct-fire kettle mash a wit (50% unmalted wheat, 50% pale malt) while recirculating with march pump. I have two choices for kettle: a polarware with false bottom, or a smaller kettle that has only a bazooka screen.

I gather from the posts above that false bottom works for this (does not get clogged).  I'd prefer to instead use the small kettle with bazooka screen (and keep the bigger one for my boil). Does anyone here have experience recirculating kettle mash using only bazooka screen? Will it clog?

a witty man:

--- Quote from: oly on June 25, 2013, 08:14:16 PM ---Reviving an old thread here, didn't see this particular question so here goes.

I wish to direct-fire kettle mash a wit (50% unmalted wheat, 50% pale malt) while recirculating with march pump. I have two choices for kettle: a polarware with false bottom, or a smaller kettle that has only a bazooka screen.

I gather from the posts above that false bottom works for this (does not get clogged).  I'd prefer to instead use the small kettle with bazooka screen (and keep the bigger one for my boil). Does anyone here have experience recirculating kettle mash using only bazooka screen? Will it clog?

--- End quote ---
I think direct firing with a bazooka tube is a bad idea. With a false bottom you have the flame heating liquid, with a bazooka tube I think you'd have a greater chance of scorching the grain that is sitting on the bottom of the   kettle.

I'd go with the polarware, and definitely throw some rice hulls in this one. All that wheat will get real gummy.

oly:
Good point, hadn't thought about that. I guess it's the polarware. thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version