Author Topic: Orange Drank  (Read 139 times)

Offline erockrph

• Brewmaster General
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • Critical Tastings
Orange Drank
« on: April 12, 2014, 06:28:56 PM »
... aka Tangy Zizzle

The talk about Tang beers prompted me to throw this together. Technically, this is more of a "malt beverage" than a beer. I wasn't going to use Tang, but I've had this idea for a while for something along the lines of hard lemonade. The goal is to make a fermented & carbonated hard beverage, but leave behind a little sweetness so its not bone dry. I don't keg, so my way around this (hopefully) is to use DME for part of the fermentables, and use a wine yeast that doesn't attenuate malt sugar very well.

This recipe is very unscientific, but I just threw it together on a whim. If it works, then I can tweak it to taste next time around. I threw 12 ounces of Extra Light DME (what I had laying around in an open bag) into one gallon of cold water and shook the hell out of it until it was just about all dissolved. Then I added two lid-fuls of Tang powder (the proper amount for 1 gallon of Tang), and shook like mad. Then I sprinkled one packet of Lalvin 71B and put it in the basement.

I didn't take a gravity measurement, but the OG for the DME portion should be 1.032 or so. I'm going to assume that the yeast is going to eat all the sucrose and fructose from the Tang, so the FG will be whatever portion of the DME that the yeast can't eat. Once its done I'm going to bottle-prime to a fairly fizzy level and see what happens.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
Re: Orange Drank
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 06:34:27 PM »
Sounds awesome. Maybe try lactose next if it's too dry. Cream Cycle beer. Did you hop it? If not I suggest MT Hood, like 30 IBUs at 20 min. Nice lemmony snickets to support the orange.

Offline erockrph

• Brewmaster General
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • Critical Tastings
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 07:56:26 PM »
Sounds awesome. Maybe try lactose next if it's too dry. Cream Cycle beer. Did you hop it? If not I suggest MT Hood, like 30 IBUs at 20 min. Nice lemmony snickets to support the orange.

Nope, no hops. No boil even. Just tossed it all in the Better Bottle, shook it up and pitched the yeast.

I might draw off a few bottles' worth later and dry hop with a little Apollo and Nelson if I have another jug free at the time.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• Brewmaster General
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 06:04:56 AM »

I might draw off a few bottles' worth later and dry hop with a little Apollo and Nelson if I have another jug free at the time.

Or Amarillo has that citrus/orange thing too.
Jon H.