Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: super berry melomel no activiy  (Read 1733 times)

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
super berry melomel no activiy
« on: October 09, 2014, 03:05:36 am »
So i tried my hand at making a mead following curt stocks recipe. I did a 1/2 batch or 2.5 gal just to see if I would like it. Used Lalvin71b and did a small starter with sugar water 20 min before i added it. It looked active and ready to go. Made the must with water around 100 degrees but the fruit was still lightly frozen so I let those to sit for 10 or 15 min together before adding the yeast. This morning no activity in  my air lock? Should I dose again with another 5 grams of lalvin71b? And I did add the first addition of yeast nutrient at the beginning as well. I used the y-yeast brand.
Jimmykx250

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: super berry melomel no activiy
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 07:50:06 am »
patience. some times it takes 12-24 hours to see activity. and the airlock is not really the way to know what's going on. there could be a poor seal somewhere else in the system that is releasing Co2. is this in a bucket or a carboy or something else?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 10:34:17 am »
patience. some times it takes 12-24 hours to see activity. and the airlock is not really the way to know what's going on. there could be a poor seal somewhere else in the system that is releasing Co2. is this in a bucket or a carboy or something else?
Its in an 8 gallon fermentation bucket and it's only 2.5 gallons of must. I figured I would transfer after primary fermentation is complete to glass (im currently looking for a 3 gallon glass carboy) I guess my concern was the I used the wyeast yeast nutrient vs fermaid k and some of the others. I figured yeast nutrient is yeast nutrient right?? I will keep a close eye on it. Thanks for your response.
Jimmykx250

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 11:13:11 am »
more or less, yeast nutrient is yeast nutrient.

if you are in a bucket there is a good change it is working just fine and the seal is not good.

Open it up and take a look! if there is fruit in there you need to punch down the cap anyway.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 12:36:55 pm »
Im happy to report it's bubbling away.
Jimmykx250