General Category > Other Fermentables

Maple Wine

<< < (3/7) > >>

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: andrew000141 on November 28, 2012, 11:32:52 AM ---ive heard that using sap has more maple flavor than the actual syrup but i presume the gravity of that is low, maybe just add maple syrup to maple sap? let us know how this turns out cause i have a few good friends who make maple syrup. They already challenged me to make them a maple wine or beer after they tried my rum raisin braggot

--- End quote ---

Actually, most of the maple syrup flavors are due to caramelization of the sugars during the boil.

erockrph:
Just to keep this thread updated, I got this batch started on Friday. I have 1 & 5/8 gallons of 1.151 OG must churning away. I couldn't source any local Grade B syrup in the quantities I was looking for, so I grabbed 3 of these on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C3IVN8/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i05

It had some good reviews and tastes really nice. I'll keep everyone posted on how this turns out. If it works out well I'll be hunting the farmers markets in the spring for local syrup.

brewmichigan:
I have a buddy who's in-laws run a maple syrup business. He said he gets maple syrup from them every year and decided to do this a few years ago. The first batch was good but a little hot. He has since perfected the recipe and methods and the latest one I tried was really good.

His friend, who is a brewer, decided to do a big batch of it. He has almost one barrel of it fermenting right now and it tastes spectacular. I'll email him and ask about his process.

Jeff M:
Got a Progress Report on this? I live in MA and my brewing buddy loves maple flavors, And his dad works in Vermont, so we could source syrup on the cheap.

Cheers,
Jeff

bonjour:

--- Quote from: brewmichigan on January 02, 2013, 09:36:14 AM ---I have a buddy who's in-laws run a maple syrup business. He said he gets maple syrup from them every year and decided to do this a few years ago. The first batch was good but a little hot. He has since perfected the recipe and methods and the latest one I tried was really good.

His friend, who is a brewer, decided to do a big batch of it. He has almost one barrel of it fermenting right now and it tastes spectacular. I'll email him and ask about his process.

--- End quote ---
if it's who i think it is th Maple Wine is awesome.

Treat the syrup as honey, diluting to your target OG and follow the modern day (Ken Schramm of Schramm's Meads, he wrote the book) Mead process.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version