General Category > Other Fermentables

Maple Wine

<< < (2/6) > >>

mtnrockhopper:
You can buy some maple at the local big home improvement store. It won't be toasted, but I'm not sure if toasted maple is good. Actually, I have no idea what, if any, flavor maple wood will provide. Looks like only have couple (The Bruery and Lawson's Finest) breweries have made maple barrel aged beer.

mtnrockhopper:
Woodford reserve did a maple aged burbon with toasted, but not charred maple barrels.

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2010/09/do-maple-barrels-look-different.html

erockrph:
Interesting info about the toasted maple. I think I can find chips for a wood smoker and try my hand at toasting them. Thanks for the tip.

andrew000141:
ive heard that using sap has more maple flavor than the actual syrup but i presume the gravity of that is low, maybe just add maple syrup to maple sap? let us know how this turns out cause i have a few good friends who make maple syrup. They already challenged me to make them a maple wine or beer after they tried my rum raisin braggot

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: andrew000141 on November 28, 2012, 11:32:52 AM ---ive heard that using sap has more maple flavor than the actual syrup but i presume the gravity of that is low, maybe just add maple syrup to maple sap? let us know how this turns out cause i have a few good friends who make maple syrup. They already challenged me to make them a maple wine or beer after they tried my rum raisin braggot

--- End quote ---

maple sap has very little flavour and is only about 2-3% sugar. It's nice and if you can get acccess to enough it is amazing just carbed up all by itself. very slightly sweet. Lawsons Finest in VT makes a beer using sap as the brewing liquour but for a wine I think you would have to use syrup just to get the gravity you want. If you make your own I suppose you could stop the boil when you hit your target OG but I don't know that you would get the robust flavours you get with the long 20:1 reduction boil,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version