Author Topic: Maple Wine  (Read 7598 times)

Offline erockrph

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • Critical Tastings
Re: Maple Wine
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 08:11:32 PM »
That's funny, I was just coming here to post a bit of a followup. I racked to secondary and took a sample today. 3 months in and it went from 1.151 to 1.058. My basement has been a lot colder than usual this winter (last year it barely dipped below 62F, this year it's been mid-to-low-50's since January). I'm hoping that things are still going slowly, because it is still way too sweet if it finished up here. The gravity sample was still a lot like sipping maple syrup. At this point it calculates to be about 12%, but the sweetness completely masks the alcohol. There is a nice warming in the belly at the end though. It's still pretty hazy at this point.

At this point my gameplan is to recheck the gravity in another week or so. If its still stalled out then I will bring it up to room temp and see if it goes any further. At that point I'm not sure if I should pitch another packet of yeast, or if I should brew another batch at a lower gravity (thinking 1.080-1.100 range) that should ferment down to around 1.000 and use that to blend back.

The lees at the bottom of the fermenter were quite interesting. There was a fine layer of pitch black sediment on top of the yeast layer. I wish I had taken a picture.

Thanks for the interest. I'll keep you updated on how things are going.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline mtnrockhopper

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 11:41:44 AM »
I remember Ken Schramm giving a mead presentation saying that you usually get 100 points of attenuation out of yeast (max).  If that's true, yours might be finished at 93 points fermented.  You could maybe get it further with distillers yeast?  Blending might help. Age may help it dry out too.
Jimmy K

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup when the old president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP: B0958

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • Critical Tastings
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 02:59:35 PM »
I remember Ken Schramm giving a mead presentation saying that you usually get 100 points of attenuation out of yeast (max).  If that's true, yours might be finished at 93 points fermented.  You could maybe get it further with distillers yeast?  Blending might help. Age may help it dry out too.

I generally get 120-130 points out of 71B in meads using staggered nutrient additions when fermented in the mid-60's. The only significant change to my process (aside from using maple syrup instead of honey) was the significantly cooler temps. But yes, I have strongly considered that it could just be finished at this point.

Since my calculations put it at about 12% right now, I'm concerned whether that's too high to pitch more yeast into. I'm also not sure whether I should add any more nutrient additions if I do go that route.
Eric B.

Offline bonjour

• Administrator
  • Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 03:02:52 PM »
Add a growler of yeast slurry, a full working population from a neutral source

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • Critical Tastings
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 10:10:27 PM »
Well, it's officially stalled out. Same exact gravity reading today as it was 4 days ago. I brought it up to room temp just in case that may restart things, otherwise I may try making a starter in a low gravity maple syrup must to see if I can get it to take off. Otherwise, it looks like a new batch for blending is called for.

I did some measured dilutions with water using the gravity sample. Undiluted, it is smooth but warming going down, syrupy, and has notes of bourbon and maple.

I then diluted it 3:1 with water. The resulting dilution (approx 9% abv, 1.044) was not quite as warm, but still quite syrupy. At this level of dilution a fruity vinous character really starts to shine through.

The final dilution was 3:2 with water. This calculates to about 7% and 1.035. At this dilution the vinous character drops off, but it becomes even more fruity. There is still quite a bit of syrupy sweetness left at this point.

I'm thinking that if I'm going to make another batch to dilute, I need to plan on something that will get me in the low-to-mid 1.020's and keep my abv above 9%. I think there is a lot of room for experimentation here once I drill down my process a bit better. I like both the bourbon character I got at higher abv as well as the vinous character from more moderate levels. Despite the underattenuation, I'm liking where this has gone so far.
Eric B.

Offline morticaixavier

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 09:15:21 AM »
This sounds delicious to me as is. Granted I have been known to drink a shot of maple syrup  ::)

I suspect that syrup has even less nutrients for the yeast than even honey or grape must. It is cooked so long and essentially clarified by that process that I would think very little but sugar and mailard left overs are still there.

If you can without messing up the flavour you might try another nutrient addition with your new starter.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 09:18:36 AM »
I have a buddy who's in-laws run a maple syrup business. He said he gets maple syrup from them every year and decided to do this a few years ago. The first batch was good but a little hot. He has since perfected the recipe and methods and the latest one I tried was really good.

His friend, who is a brewer, decided to do a big batch of it. He has almost one barrel of it fermenting right now and it tastes spectacular. I'll email him and ask about his process.
if it's who i think it is th Maple Wine is awesome.

Treat the syrup as honey, diluting to your target OG and follow the modern day (Ken Schramm of Schramm's Meads, he wrote the book) Mead process.

Yes, it is who you think it is. Follow what Fred said here. I contacted him but never heard back.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • Critical Tastings
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 12:13:23 PM »
This sounds delicious to me as is. Granted I have been known to drink a shot of maple syrup  ::)

I suspect that syrup has even less nutrients for the yeast than even honey or grape must. It is cooked so long and essentially clarified by that process that I would think very little but sugar and mailard left overs are still there.

If you can without messing up the flavour you might try another nutrient addition with your new starter.

I had a similar thought with the nutrient. It's hard to tell whether there's any residual DAP flavor going on because the sweetness is high enough to mask most of that. I will definitely put some nutrient in my starter, and I may add one more addition to the wine when I add the starter to it.
Eric B.

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • Critical Tastings
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 10:55:48 PM »
I thought I'd update this thread since I recently bottled the batch. After my attempts to restart fermentation I pretty much put the fermenter in an upstairs closet and forgot about it for many months. I was about to dump it since I needed to reclaim the fermenter, but I gave it a taste first. Although it is still quite sweet, something magical seemed to happen. The alcohol mellowed out and the sweetness (while still there) rounded out quite a bit. It seems to be in the ballpark of a cream sherry, and is a real nice sipper now. FG is now down to 1.050 (it had initially stalled at 1.058).

Here are my tasting notes:

Appearance is ruby/copper with some haze (I never ended up fining it). The nose is vinous, with a big sweet maple note. There are hints of vanilla and dried fruit/raisins. There is also a woody cedar/oak note.

On the palate, it is winy and quite sweet, with a lot of maple syrup character. There is a moderate acidity that helps balance the sweetness. Alcohol is notable. I also pick up some wood, vanilla and a sherry/raisin note. The mouthfeel is full with some juiciness and a bit of tannin. The finish is drying with wood and maple lingering as the juiciness starts to fade.

Overall, I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I think the complexity is just starting to develop now and will hopefully develop even further over time. I was surprised how much wood I picked up, but I'm guessing that using good quality grade B syrup makes a difference here. I''m glad I went with 71B for my yeast choice, since this really needs some acidity to balance out the sweetness.

I doubt if I'll brew this again, since it's a real sipper and the stockpile I have will likely last a decade at the rate I expect to consume it. If I did, I think I'd still try to shoot for 1.020-1.030 range for FG. I think it would be a lot more drinkable down in that range.
Eric B.

Offline el_capitan

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 07:45:46 PM »
Interesting.  That's technically called "acerglyn."  A friend and I made 5 gallons of syrup last year.  I use my stash as a refined sugar substitute.  My wife uses it in my morning muffins  ;D

BUT, once I get a sugarbush of my own set up, I could see myself doing a small batch. 

The thin black layer on the bottom of your fermenter was probably niter, or "sugar sand" as it's commonly called.  It's a natural sediment that forms in the syruping process.

Here's Don O's writeup of his attempt, with photos. 

I've made a maple porter with sap as the brewing liquor, and 1 quart of homemade syrup added at 15 minutes.  It wasn't too bad.  Still, the syrup seemed to really thin the beer out and leave a strange sweet/tart character that's hard to describe.  Not worth repeating. 

I'd really like to get a RO setup, and use that in the syruping process.  I could concentrate the sap quite a bit, and also produce RO water for brewing at the same time.  That would be the way to go.  We'll see where I'm at in 15 years or so...

Thanks for sharing your info.  I haven't had too much success with "country wines" yet I'm always intrigued to try another. 
All for Brew...

Offline pete b

• Assistant Brewer
  • Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 07:12:51 PM »
Thanks for this post, very interesting. We are a couple months away from bottling a maple tej- maple syrup, honey, hops, and maple sap instead of water, started in may of 2013. Let you know when we taste it.
Renunciation is not giving up the things of the world, but accepting that they go away.
Suzuki Roshi

Offline pete b

• Assistant Brewer
  • Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2014, 07:54:11 PM »
Just bottled and sampled maple tej started 3/24/13
Used 3 gallon maple sap
1gal maple syrup
6 lbs local raw honey
5 vanilla beans
7 black tea bags. (Steeped 7 min)
Lavalin d47 yeast
1oz styrian goldings hops added to must
2weeks in primary then racked to carboys (5gal + 1 gal)
Racked to carboy 11/24/13 after secondary at 65-70 degrees
Aged 1year at 55-60 degrees
Tastes great. Lightly sweet, countered by bitterness and astringency of hops and tea. Really do taste mineral flavor from sap.(i think).
Can' t wait to taste with Ethiopian food and oysters!
Renunciation is not giving up the things of the world, but accepting that they go away.
Suzuki Roshi

Offline pete b

• Assistant Brewer
  • Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2014, 08:02:42 PM »
Btw realize i had said this was started 5/13 but records show it was started 3/13
Suzuki Roshi

Offline pete b

• Assistant Brewer
  • Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 06:27:28 PM »
We have about ten gallons of sap on hand and in addition to that will have 2-5 gallons maple syrup tomorrow. May the experiments begin!
Suzuki Roshi

Offline RandyMarshCT

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
    • The Hobby Distiller's Association
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2014, 07:28:17 AM »
Interesting.  That's technically called "acerglyn."

Here's Don O's writeup of his attempt, with photos. 

Nice write-up. I've been fermenting maple syrup for a little over a year and never heard of the term acerglyn. Thanks for the link!
Member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

www.hobbydistillersassociation.org