General Category > Beer Recipes

First lager!!

<< < (2/7) > >>

goschman:
Schwarzbier

hopfenundmalz:

--- Quote from: theDarkSide on November 27, 2012, 02:04:47 PM ---My first lager ( last January ) was a Munich Helles and I got a silver at NHC.  Your results may vary (i.e. Gold :) ).

Temp control, big yeast pitch, O2, and time/patience.  I also use a method that I heard from Jamil Zainasheff about letting the wort sit overnight at fermentation temp, transferring to another vessel, hitting it with O2 and pitch the yeast.  I was amazed at how much break material formed just overnight in the first carboy.  It is now a method I use with all my lagers.  I pitch cold ( 44 F ) and let it free rise to 50 F and hold it there. 

Good luck!

--- End quote ---

That is pretty standard for the German brewers. Maybe Kai can say if they all do it. Might be something to try.

Good show on the Silver.

Pinski:
My first lager was a Schwarzbier, brewed on Black Friday 2011.  The last bottle was consumed last week, Black Friday 2012.

thomasben:
Sounds fun!! I'll try that method!!

majorvices:
for a standard 1.050ish lager the slurry from a gallon starter would not be too big! You will have the best results following the advice above, chill down to ~44-46, aerate big and pitch. Let it settle out ~48-50.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version