Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pests in brew house/ Need storage suggestions!  (Read 9974 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
Pests in brew house/ Need storage suggestions!
« on: November 27, 2012, 02:18:32 pm »
So, I been dealing with a mice problem for a while now.  I store my base malt, in my garage,  in 5 gallon buckets and just noticed today that the remainder of my base malt has been totally compromised.  I'm ready to just toss all of the malt, about 30 pounds.   :'(  That's probably the only solution, right?  I didn't know mice could chew through plastic like that.

Any suggestions of how to store my grain?  I have no room to keep it inside our little apartment.  I'm thinking some sort of metal containers.   Please help!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 02:20:32 pm by liquidbrewing »
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Pests in brew house/ Need storage suggestions!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 02:25:04 pm »
Vittle Vaults.  They are probably thicker than the buckets, but either way, you have some pretty bad-ass mice.

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 02:26:03 pm »
Vittles Vaults.  Looks like DarkSide beat me to it!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 02:39:26 pm »
I have seen some folks use steel trash cans with steel lids, like this http://www.homedepot.com/buy/behrens-31-gal-steel-trash-can-1270.html#.ULUy6GdMOSo.  Line them with heavy duty trash bags make sure the tops are tight.

I have seen mice chew through just about anything except steel.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 02:57:05 pm »
I have seen some folks use steel trash cans with steel lids, like this http://www.homedepot.com/buy/behrens-31-gal-steel-trash-can-1270.html#.ULUy6GdMOSo.  Line them with heavy duty trash bags make sure the tops are tight.

I have seen mice chew through just about anything except steel.

Paul

that's going to be the only sure way. you can also fill the bucket with co2 to help keep bugs out.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 05:20:42 pm »
Definitely going the trash can route.  Great suggestion!

I'm wondering if all of the grain should be tossed?  Any thoughts?  Err on the side of caution?  Or will any thing the mice could have done survive the boil? 
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 05:36:01 pm »
Unless there are turds and piss in the grain it is probably ok. Guess no-one really wants to know what's going in in granaries right? :P

I like to vac seal specialty grain and store it in the freezer. Bulk grain in a metal trashcan sounds like an excellent idea against rodents but be sure to use it up on a consistent basis or weevils will certainly appear. They won't hurt the beer though.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 06:02:12 pm »
And for extra defense, set up some traps near where you store your grains.  Or better yet, set them near where they may be entering the area.  We've used these to get rid of any mice that like to enter our garage during the winter:

http://www.homedepot.com/Ortho/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1vZ2yq/R-202229592/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=mice&storeId=10051#.ULVibYe22jQ
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 06:33:37 pm »
A cat. I have one. No mice. I do occasionally find a decapitated body in my driveway, though.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 06:56:47 pm »
I use Vittle Vaults and Rubbermaid totes. Trash cans will also work if the lid seals tight. I also have a cat which helps.  ::)

They tend to come indoors when the weather starts getting cold. Get some mouse traps. Snickers bars work great.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 10:20:32 pm »
I use airtight plastic containers and have traps always baited.  I haven't had a mouse in a while though, I found all of the holes I could and sealed them up.  When I first started I would sometimes get three in one night.  Now when I get them I'm pretty sure it is because they have come in through an open door.  Peanut butter on the traps works great, it stays in place for a long time and the mice will still go for it if it is 6 months old.

Personally I wouldn't tolerate the mice where you store food.  Get a cat if there are too many holes to seal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hantavirus
Tom Schmidlin

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 12:58:07 am »
I get pails at work.  I've never had mice that were tough enough to get through 'em, but if I thought there were that possibility, I'd probably nest the sealed bucket inside another one, making the barrier twice as thick.

My grain is in the garage w/a lot of the food for the kitchen, so I usually have some baits out as soon as I see any droppings.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 05:37:22 am »
The trash can will definitely work and is cheaper.  You will not get the seal you get with the Vittles Vault but you'll get mouse proofing!

As for tossing the grain, for me it depends on the entry point.  If they chewed through a corner of the bag and were not inside, then I would dump out a half pound and go with it.  If there was ANY chance they were inside the bag, I would toss it all. 

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 06:25:12 am »
And for extra defense, set up some traps near where you store your grains.  Or better yet, set them near where they may be entering the area.  We've used these to get rid of any mice that like to enter our garage during the winter:

http://www.homedepot.com/Ortho/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1vZ2yq/R-202229592/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=mice&storeId=10051#.ULVibYe22jQ

These traps are great...no more snapping my fingers on the old style traps  :o.  Problem is I forget about them sometimes and when I go to check them, they have a dried on mouse.  Much easier to dump them when they're fresh.

And the plug in pest repellers don't do squat!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 07:47:24 am »
I was looking at those Kill & Contain traps. I may have to give them a try. I usually just use glue traps because they're cheap and you can just throw them everywhere.

And +1000 to a cat. The wife freaks out, but I love watching them catch mice. Even cooler than a laser pointer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer