General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

pitching temp

(1/4) > >>

andrew000141:
i have come to adopt the old rule of pitching yeast when the wort is blood warm, i usually pitch between 80-90. besides for the danger of hot side aeration(which i think is bologna) is there any reason i shouldnt pitch at this temp? I get very short lag time, i had a 1.090 imperial IPA made today with a 2 hour lag time from pitching to airlock activity and ive never had a yeast health issue. My beer turns out great but would chilling it down further make it better or can i just give in to my impatience and pitch?

morticaixavier:
I think you risk pretty major fuesel production that way. but I could be wrong. no worries about yeast health the like it that temp but I think that it will increase ester production ALOT.

lag time isn't bad. It is just how long the yeast are taking to reproduce to critical mass. Just like with bread, and pizza the flavour and mouthfeel will be improved if you let the concerned parties take their time getting ready.

but hey, if you are getting results you like so be it. just let the taste of the beer be the guideline, not how long it takes to see bubbles in the airlock

thomasben:
If your using pure 02 or some other method that imparts an adequate amount of 02 into your wort then I would stray from your method.  I would make healthy starters, aerate well, cool to pitching temps 60-68(ales). And let it go.
Your method risks way too many off flavors. 

Homebrewing is a game of patience. I do what I described above and my beers kick off in a few hrs. Plus I'm much more comfortable keeping my yeast in an environment where the temperature doesn't swing high or low too often. Produces more consistent beer. Hope this helps.

davidgzach:
I stopped worrying about airlock activity in the first 24 hours after reading White & Jamil's Yeast book.  Lag time is not a bad thing unless it goes too long (36 hours+).  And a short lag time is not necessarily a good thing.  I now just try to pitch the appropriate amount if yeast in well aerated wort and try to be patient.

As for pithing temp.  I agree with Mort that you are in danger of creating some serious fusel alcohols and fruity esters.  But, like we all say, if you like it, then who cares?   :)

majorvices:
Simply put: You are not making the best beer possible pitching at those temps. You will be causing a myriad of off flavors including hot alcohols and other potential problems when you try to cool an actively fermenting beer down to proper temps. You are also risking major head aches from fusel production. Fermentation temp, including pitching temps, is one of the most important practices in brewing - it rivals sanitation in the final quality of your beer! You should never pitch higher than 70-72, and preferably (for most ale strains) in the low to mid sixties with a "proper" pitch of yeast (see the pitching calc on www.mrmalty.com to get an idea how much yeast you should be pitching for every batch). You should be sure to never let the fermentation temp, which will be 4-6 degrees higher than ambient at high krausen, get over 68-70 (72 at the highest) for most ale strains.

Some strains, such as WY1007 will need to be pitched and  fermented even cooler. WY1007 works best in the mid 50s.

Having a decent lag time is actually good for the flavor of beer. Having a super short lag time is NOT good for the flavor of beer. 12 to 24 hours is a "decent" lag time. Just because you can't see anything happening doesn't mean nothing is happening. The yeast are scavenging nutrients and oxygen an are budding and creating flavors in your beer. The key here is to restrain them from goping crazy and creating off flavors.

If you are ascribing to a rule that says pitch "blood warm" it is  avery ancient rule indeed, or a back woods, bath tub homebrew book. Don't do that! ;) I know you say your beer is turning out great, but I think you will be so much more pleased if you follow standard pitching practices. And you will probably wake up with less head aches as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version