Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cool Whirlpooling  (Read 1753 times)

Offline bdgrfrisch

• 1st Kit
Cool Whirlpooling
« on: November 30, 2012, 03:29:58 pm »
In reading the Classic Beer Style book Altbier by Horst Dornbusch the author talks about aroma hops in the whirlpool when the temp starts to drop or even when the wort is cool. 
Not to get into the topic of whether an Altbier should have much hop flavor or aroma (based on BJCP guidelines, not really if I'm reading it right), is this procedure (the cool wort hop addition) related mainly to noble hops? 
He does also discuss that noble hops have higher levels of humulene and lower levels of cohumulone so maybe adding to the whilrpool as the wort has cooled below 200F/180F/etc is a benefit over adding to the whirlpool right after the heat is turned off at the end of boil?

Prost
You can do things two ways, the right way or the wrong way.
Or you can do things my way - which is like the wrong way but faster.

Offline malzig

• Brewer
Re: Cool Whirlpooling
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 06:16:52 am »
Cooling the wort to ~175-180C, then adding your aroma hops and letting it sit for ~15 minutes can improve the aroma contribution of flame-out hops.  It works for any hop, not just Noble hops, and is particularly good for American-style IPAs and APAs.  I haven't played with it much, yet, but I plan to from my first impressions.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Cool Whirlpooling
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 07:28:41 am »
Humulone and cohumulone are Alpha Acids, which add bitterness when boiled. The aromatics come from the essential oils like myrcene, humulene, farnesene and caryophellene, and oxidized oil components such a linalool and geranoil. Those all have lower flash points and will boil off when put in the boiling wort. Some only remain when dry hopped (or added at temps around 120F or lower).

If you want to read more there is information on the net. Here is one hit.
http://inhoppursuit.blogspot.com/2011/07/hop-oil-is-bigger-better-preview-of.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!