General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Does longer fermentation = longer diacetyl rest?

(1/4) > >>

yso191:
One week ago today I brewed a Belgian Imperial IPA.  My target was a 1.080 OG, but overshot that and it turned out to be 1.088. The high krausen was volcanic.  There is still co2 activity in the airlock.

My plan was to do 2 weeks in the primary, then keg and let it sit at 70* for another week before cold crashing it.  But since the fermentation is taking so long, I am wondering if I need more time in the primary or warm keg before cold conditioning.

Steve

morticaixavier:
I would think you would want to do you d-rest in the presence of as much yeast as possible as it is the yeast that are fetting rid of the diacetyl for you. It can't hurt to leave it another week at ~70f but do you taste diacetyl in the beer? what temp did you ferment at?

yso191:
 The main fermentation was done at 68*.  I used the Wyeast Ardennes which is good up to 76*, so when the fermentation slowed, I bumped the temperature 2* per day (1 AM, 1 PM), until I reached 74*. Where it has been since Sunday eve.  I have not tasted it, nor taken a gravity - I was waiting until signs of fermentation stopped.

Steve

morticaixavier:
I don't think you need to worry about a d-rest then. If you taste it and it is buttery, worry then but for now I would RDWHAHB as the saying is.

yso191:
Thank you

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version