General Category > Beer Recipes

100% Vienna Malt Recipe Ideas

(1/3) > >>

skyler:
So I have decided to brew a 100% Vienna Malt beer because I still have never brewed one and I have a good bit of Vienna malt from a sack I purchased a fairly long time ago. I also just got some yeast slurry from Hopworks Urban Brewery in Portland, OR and am eager to use it. They use Wyeast 1318 as their house yeast, but mostly brew American-style ales with it. My first instinct was to use up my 2011 US Tettnanger supply and brew a bitter. Then I considered going a majorly different direction and brewing up a "Session IPA" (the next beer style whose name we will all argue about), which would be about 1.045 and probably 50 IBUs. But I also have plenty of 2011 Cascade, Glacier, and Crystal hops, and could very well brew something a little more "to style" with any of them. What do you all think?

hoser:
Personally, I would do a vienna lager with just a dash of carafa for color adjustment. Otherwise, I vote for Cascade APA.

skyler:

--- Quote from: hoser on November 28, 2012, 02:23:56 PM ---Personally, I would do a vienna lager with just a dash of carafa for color adjustment. Otherwise, I vote for Cascade APA.

--- End quote ---

There are a few reasons why it can't be a Vienna lager, namely that I want to build up some of this yeast for a 10 gal batch of RIS, that I need this beer bottle-conditioned and ready by X-mas, and that I do not like Vienna Lager. Also I want to do 100% Vienna malt in part because I would like to actually see the color produced from doing so.

hoser:

--- Quote from: skyler on November 28, 2012, 02:43:21 PM ---
--- Quote from: hoser on November 28, 2012, 02:23:56 PM ---Personally, I would do a vienna lager with just a dash of carafa for color adjustment. Otherwise, I vote for Cascade APA.

--- End quote ---

and that I do not like Vienna Lager.

--- End quote ---

Blasphemy!!!! :P

morticaixavier:
I went with bitter with english hops but I think a session IPA would also be nice and you could use the hops you have on hand.

I do an all munich barleywine/small beer partigyle that I really like, although I usually cap the mash with a little c45 or something. haven't used Vienna but isn't it similar?

You up in portland skyler? though you were in berkeley

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version