General Category > Beer Recipes

100% Vienna Malt Recipe Ideas

<< < (2/3) > >>

skyler:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on November 28, 2012, 04:03:32 PM ---You up in portland skyler? though you were in berkeley

--- End quote ---

Actually I live in Oakland now, but I went back up to Portland for Thanksgiving.

erockrph:
If you want to do a smash, go for it, but I'd go for an IPA with Apollo/Glacier/Crystal/Cascade if it were my brew. SMaSH is fine if you want a pilot batch to taste-test some hops, but for my palate you get a much more enjoyable hop character when using 3-4 varieties of hops.

TrippleRippleBrewer:
"namely that I want to build up some of this yeast for a 10 gal batch of RIS"

If re-using this yeast or pitching on a cake I've always been under the impression you shouldn't do so with a highly hopped beer like an IPA. The hops compounds negatively impact the viability of the yeast from what I've read. I've never done either but that's what I understand.

Personally I really like the malty flavor from Vienna and would lean toward some sort of pale ale with the Tettnanager and / or the Crystal. Mash it lower so it's not too sweet with that yeast maybe. Single hop addition for bittering and that's it. I'm imagining an OG in the 1.048 to 1.050 range max and maybe 25 to 35 IBU.

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: PortageMIBrewer on November 29, 2012, 06:06:57 PM ---"namely that I want to build up some of this yeast for a 10 gal batch of RIS"

If re-using this yeast or pitching on a cake I've always been under the impression you shouldn't do so with a highly hopped beer like an IPA. The hops compounds negatively impact the viability of the yeast from what I've read. I've never done either but that's what I understand.[...]
--- End quote ---

I have always understood the issue with re-pitching from a hoppy beer is carryover of hop bitterness and flavour.

blatz:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on November 30, 2012, 08:47:50 AM ---I have always understood the issue with re-pitching from a hoppy beer is carryover of hop bitterness and flavour.

--- End quote ---

same here.  and even so, I repitch all the time from IPA (into other hoppy beers) and never have a viability issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version