Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: stuck sparge  (Read 8603 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: stuck sparge
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 11:46:19 am »
Batch sparging is not necessarily a panacea here. 8 of us used the same mill on Learn to Brew Day, and I think everyone using a Bazooka/kettle screen ended up with a stuck mash and we were all batch sparging.
It's primarily the crush, as even with a very slow run off speed, if you've got a ton of flour in there it's going to clog up that screen. When I use my own mill, which I have adjusted by trial and stuck sparge, I never have a problem...thankfully.

Anybody using a SS hose braid?  I find those work much better than a Bazooka. 
I don't use it much (direct fired false bottom mash tun normally), but when I batch sparge with my cooler it is with a SS braid from a toilet/sink hose.  It's never stuck on me.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 11:50:45 am »
I have the same sort of set up as Tom. When I was using a rectangular cooler, I used a braided washing machine hose with SS wire spiraling inside it. I never, not even once, got a stuck sparge with it. Really the way to go on a rectangular cooler mash tun, IMO.
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 12:08:40 pm »
I have gotten a stuck sparge with my ss braid in a cooler... but it was an all wheat malt brew with no rice hulls or anything so not terribly surprising.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
stuck sparge
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 02:51:47 pm »
Batch sparging is not necessarily a panacea here. 8 of us used the same mill on Learn to Brew Day, and I think everyone using a Bazooka/kettle screen ended up with a stuck mash and we were all batch sparging.
It's primarily the crush, as even with a very slow run off speed, if you've got a ton of flour in there it's going to clog up that screen. When I use my own mill, which I have adjusted by trial and stuck sparge, I never have a problem...thankfully.

I don't use it much (direct fired false bottom mash tun normally), but when I batch sparge with my cooler it is with a SS braid from a toilet/sink hose.  It's never stuck on me.

Same here.  429 batches and never a stuck runoff.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 08:15:20 am »

Same here.  429 batches and never a stuck runoff.

Yes, but Denny, you are a beer god. ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 10:18:10 am »
Yes, but Denny, you are a beer god. ;)

Maybe a beer goof....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 06:03:36 pm »
I find that my first runoff usually goes fine but when I add the sparge water and stir it up, I often get a stuck sparge (or just the end of the sparge actually).  It seems like I end up with a layer of very fine particles that form a "cap" on the top of the grain and stop the run off.  I often have to scoop this off to the side to get the runoff to finish.  I'm sure it is because my grind is too fine but I'm not having much luck getting my mill adjusted properly (I really need to find those instructions).

Offline breslinp

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 06:30:54 pm »

I use the SS braid and was fine until this past weekend (maybe 20 brews). I was doing my 1st single batch sparge (about 3gt/lb) and running off fast. Stuck towards the end briefly. I fiddled with the valve and a bunch of husks shot out (strained them before boil). It was fine after that.

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2012, 06:00:39 am »
It seems like I end up with a layer of very fine particles that form a "cap" on the top of the grain and stop the run off.  I often have to scoop this off to the side to get the runoff to finish.  I'm sure it is because my grind is too fine but I'm not having much luck getting my mill adjusted properly (I really need to find those instructions).
A lot of this is break material, which is a good thing to see in the mash because it means that you probably have good pH and calcium conditions in your mash. 

What you may need to do is improve the quality of your husks to keep the grain bed fluffy, which will help keep this from just piling on top.  At least I find that a fluffier grain bed can help keep the oberteig (which is what this material is called) from forming an impermeable cap.  You can try adjusting your crush, but you may find that you lose conversion efficiency.  This could be a great occasion to try malt conditioning instead of opening the gap of your mill.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2012, 11:42:09 am »
I find that my first runoff usually goes fine but when I add the sparge water and stir it up, I often get a stuck sparge (or just the end of the sparge actually).  It seems like I end up with a layer of very fine particles that form a "cap" on the top of the grain and stop the run off.  I often have to scoop this off to the side to get the runoff to finish.  I'm sure it is because my grind is too fine but I'm not having much luck getting my mill adjusted properly (I really need to find those instructions).
Just use your mash paddle or a big spoon to cut grooves in the top of the grain bed.  That will break up the cap enough.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2012, 02:47:03 pm »
Just use your mash paddle or a big spoon to cut grooves in the top of the grain bed.  That will break up the cap enough.

This ^^^^^
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
stuck sparge
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2012, 07:17:22 pm »
I use a false bottom in a mash kettle without any problems, and I also use my cooler mash tun with a hose braid without a problem with lautering. I think stuck mashes are caused by an inadequate filter bed and/or filtering mechanism. Crush is a biggest factor. Having some husks intact will help matters here. That can be achieved by adjusting the mill gap and/or malt conditioning. The other option is to add rice hulls.
Ron Price