General Category > Beer Recipes

Imperial IPA Ideas

(1/4) > >>

In The Sand:
I'm planning on brewing this Saturday.  My questions is on the hop bill.  What to use where.  I've been doing a lot of SMaSH beers to try to get the hop flavors down, so this will be a little different.  Let me know what you think:

Batch Size: 5.00 gal     
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.086 SG
Estimated Color: 9.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 93.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount       Item                                                   Type         % or IBU
14.00 lb      Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        90.32 %       
1.00 lb       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)     Grain        6.45 %       
1.00 oz       Warrior [15.00 %]  (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops         45.3 IBU     
2.00 oz       Cascade [5.50 %]  (45 min)                Hops         27.7 IBU     
2.00 oz       Cascade [5.50 %]  (20 min)                Hops         18.3 IBU     
1.00 oz       Amarillo Gold [8.50 %]  (2 min)           Hops         2.0 IBU       
1.00 oz       Amarillo Gold [8.50 %]  (Dry Hop 7 days)  Hops          -           
0.50 lb       Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (at flame out)          Sugar        3.23 %       
2 Pkgs        US-05 Ale Yeast             Yeast-Ale                 

majorvices:
You aren't using any where near the amount of flame out and last minute additions. You almost can't use enough. Think 4 oz Amarillo, or more, at least. And load up the dry hops, 4 oz at least. The hop bill should be ridiculously top heavy toward flame out. It's about aroma and flavor, not necessarily bitterness.

majorvices:
I also like to sub out some table sugar for the basemalt. Dry is good here. But not too dry.

In The Sand:
Thanks

jamminbrew:
Here's my recipe, I won a gold medal at the Colorado State Fair with this...
And +100 on the huge late hop additions...

12 lbs American 2-row
1 lb 20L Crystal
1/2 lb Carapils
1 1/2 lbs white table sugar  10 mins

1 oz chinook   FWH
1 oz Chinook   60 min
1/2 oz each  of Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo  at  15, 10,5,0 min
1 oz each Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo  Dry Hop.

11 oz of hops.  Not a cheap beer to make, but holy crap does it taste and smell awesome!  I am very pleased with this.  Go with hops you like, but definitely load up on the late additions. Your results will be great!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version