General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Double Boiling, Double Fermentation

<< < (2/7) > >>

travjohn92:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on November 28, 2012, 06:41:52 PM ---What kind of "struggles" are you having? As long as you pitch a sufficient amount of yeast, fermenting a 9% beer should be relatively routine. It's when you get to about 14% or so that things get tricky.

--- End quote ---

I have just struggled getting my beers to finish where "I" think they should be.  I have calibrated my equipment (hydrometer and thermometers) to make sure they are correct.  I typically mash in between 150 and 156, mash out at 168 and then fly sparge with 170-175 water for 45-60 minutes.

I always try to use a high attenuating yeast, but I seem to have a problem with not hitting my OG (always a little on the low end) and missing my target FG too.  I don't miss it by being low, I miss it by finishing out where it should have finished using my target OG or even a little higher than that.

I typically shoot for around a 1.070-1.075 range and usually don't make a starter (sometimes I do though), but if I don't I always double pitch.

a10t2:

--- Quote from: travjohn92 on November 28, 2012, 06:52:21 PM ---I typically shoot for around a 1.070-1.075 range
--- End quote ---

If you're trying to get to 9% ABV, that's your problem right there. You need about 70 "points" of apparent attenuation for 9% ABV. So the OG would need to be at least 1.080, more likely 1.090.

tschmidlin:
I would hope your friend means he boils the sugar addition and then adds it to the beer - that would be a pretty normal thing to do, boiling the beer is not.  I still don't see that getting down to 0.995 though.  Based on what you've told us, I don't trust his numbers.

a10t2 is right, if your OG starts that low you'll have a hard time hitting 9% ABV.

Depending on the yeast, even 2 packs may be underpitching.  What size starters do you make, when you make them?

dimik:
Sounds shady to me... I agree with Tom on hoping it was the sugar that he boiled and not the beer.
Getting that low FG in a not so high abv hints at an infection to me.

travjohn92:

--- Quote from: tschmidlin on November 28, 2012, 09:57:55 PM ---Depending on the yeast, even 2 packs may be underpitching.  What size starters do you make, when you make them?

--- End quote ---

Typically when I do make a starter I make a 1 to 1.5 liter starter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version