Author Topic: I am thinking about buying a keg  (Read 3804 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• I must live here
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
Re: I am thinking about buying a keg
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 11:11:36 AM »
Deep well sockets are for suckers. ;)  Get yourself one of these - one wrench for all of your cornies.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-11-16-x-7-8-in-wrench-offset-ratchet/p-00943365000P?prdNo=10&blockNo=10&blockType=G10

Not if you already have a tool box with 3/8 and 1/2 drive deep wells.
Yes, even then ;D You need to pull that stuff out and swap sockets as needed, mine hangs on a hook and I can flip it around as needed as I go from keg to keg.  After using one for a while it became something I insist on having.  Now I have two at home and one at the side job (soda in cornies).

That would assume I only have one drive in each size.  ;)

What's that swap sockets stuff?
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline kramerog

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 11:56:03 AM »
If needed, everything else can be reached with a toilet brush or by disassembling the keg.

A new, un-used toilet brush dedicated to cleaning kegs and nothing else.  This is important.

Not so fast my friend!  Euge said he uses a paint stirrer for paint and wort.  So I'm thinking if I just soak the brush in  StarSan then ... 

P.S.  glad things are looking up for you Euge.
Brewers of South Suburbia
Brixie's Brewers
Oak Park Homebrewers

Roger Masson

Improved batch sparge and parti-gyle calculator (v.1.6)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 04:42:14 PM »
I have to admit this is true.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 01:24:49 AM »
It should go without saying...  I guess I now know how to make a beer that tastes like ass.
;D

That would assume I only have one drive in each size.  ;) 

What's that swap sockets stuff?
I can still hang mine on a hook. ;)  AND, the 7/8 one fits the fitting on my burner so I can use it to hook up the propane tanks.  Of course I can't get the wrench off until I am done with the burner, but then I don't clean kegs on brew days so it doesn't matter.

Not so fast my friend!  Euge said he uses a paint stirrer for paint and wort.  So I'm thinking if I just soak the brush in  StarSan then ... 
You might actually be able to sufficiently clean and sanitize one so there would be nothing transferred.  But the ick factor . . . there's no cleaning that off.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 07:05:32 AM »
You might actually be able to sufficiently clean and sanitize one so there would be nothing transferred.  But the ick factor . . . there's no cleaning that off.
And... a toilet brush has a much more complex surface than a paint stirrer. Think a scratched up plastic bucket is hard to sanitize? Way more nooks and crannies here!

And the solvents probably keep paint sanitized.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 07:40:28 AM »
I do make sure there isn't any paint left on the stirrer. And this has only pertained to water-based paints. A toilet-brush could be sanitized but is a different beast altogether. As was stated by Tom the ick factor is just too strong!

I use a regular kitchen sponge that is gripped by one of these:

Whatever it is called...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis