Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Topaz hops  (Read 15836 times)

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Topaz hops
« on: November 29, 2012, 08:28:25 pm »
Anyone have any experience using Topaz hops from Australia. It sounds very similar to Galaxy, but appears to have a "dank" quality to it.  Here is the description:

The Australian hop selection Topaz is a super high alpha seedless cultivar with a pronounced and unique hop flavor and aroma. Bred by Hop Products Australia at their Rostrevor Breeding Garden Victoria. Topaz has excellent flavour potential, to the point that a beer hopped solely with Topaz was the most preferred of a group of five single hop beers by tasters at Brau 2010. We are calling it a sister hop to Galaxy due to it's similarly high levels of 4MMP (hardcore hop heads will know what that means).

As a flavor addition Topaz can provide spice (almost clove) character and earthy notes similar in character to old English cultivars, and fruit flavour such as lychee can be detected in later additions and higher gravity brews. It would serve as a great companion to any of the citrusy hops for some serious depth of flavor.

Sam Adams used it, along with Galaxy in its Tasman Red IPA
( I have not tried this beer :-[)

Thinking of brewing a Southern Hemisphere IPA when the WLP Australian Ale platinum strain becomes available this spring, using it with Nelson Sauvin, Galaxy, and Mouteka hops.

Any ideas, suggestions, thoughts, experiences?
Thanks,
Brian

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Topaz hops
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 10:11:15 pm »
This is a variety I've had my eye on, but I haven't tried it out yet. I don't know if I can bring myself to buy any more hops right now, but I've had a thought to do an all-Aussie hopped IPA with Galaxy, Summer and Topaz. The earthy, English hop thing is keeping me a bit gunshy. I've had a few other hops that have a fantastic aroma, but taste like a fruity Fuggles. Which basically makes them too fruity for an English IPA and too earthy for an American IPA/APA to me, so I only use them for flameout/dry hops.

Keep us posted if you try them.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 12:23:18 am »
I don't have any experience with this hop, but I have a very interesting book published by the Haas Co. that has a spider chart of flavors/aromas and their intensity.  The dark green is the hop in solution, the light green is the raw hop. 

Steve
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 12:25:18 am by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline neemox

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 11:34:11 am »
Gonna need to get that book. Going on the list right now.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 01:56:15 pm »
Gonna need to get that book. Going on the list right now.

Get ready for sticker shock...  100 euros.

Steve
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 02:15:59 pm »
I just received my copy of the new book from Brewers Publications, "For the Love  of Hops" by Stan Hieronymous.  It is way cheaper (list price $19.95) and has some info on Topaz hops, although not the spider graph shown above.  I am looking forward to reading it and using it as reference.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 04:34:50 pm »
I just received my copy of the new book from Brewers Publications, "For the Love  of Hops" by Stan Hieronymous.  It is way cheaper (list price $19.95) and has some info on Topaz hops, although not the spider graph shown above.  I am looking forward to reading it and using it as reference.

That is on my Christmas list - I am really looking forward to it.  That and the book on Water.  I have read the Yeast book at least 3 times (takes me a while to get things pounded in).

Steve
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 06:56:36 pm »

That is on my Christmas list - I am really looking forward to it.  That and the book on Water.  I have read the Yeast book at least 3 times (takes me a while to get things pounded in).

Steve

I know what you mean.  I still haven't finished the IPA book.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 11:36:08 am »
I am dredging this back up from the dead. I just got my hands on 4oz of AU Topaz Pellets. Has anyone used this yet? I was thinking of doing a APA with Cascade and Topaz, was thinking 2/3 topaz, 1/3 cascade, 1oz at 60, 1oz at 15, 2oz at flameout, and the rest of the topaz for dryhop, with maybe a 1/2 oz of Cascade... I think the Citrus/Floral would play really well with the Berry theme of the Topaz.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 12:29:04 am »
Resurrecting this topic again, because I am drinking my Topaz/Cascade APA that I dreamed up.

Blueberry. That is the predominant flavor I get out of this hop, and I really enjoy it balanced against the citrus/floral of the cascade.

I used 2oz late hopped (0min/30hopstand) with 1oz cascade, and 1oz cascade at FWH. I really enjoy this beer, and I think I may try a Topaz/Cascade/Citra hopped IPA for a nice fruity summer beer. I think it would also be great late hopped with some coriander in a witbier.

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 08:37:20 am »
I get blueberry aroma and flavor from Mosaic which seems most prominent with 2-3 months of age after the dankness fades.  Did Topaz produce any dankness?  Did you dry hop?

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 08:52:54 am »
I get blueberry aroma and flavor from Mosaic which seems most prominent with 2-3 months of age after the dankness fades.  Did Topaz produce any dankness?  Did you dry hop?

I did not dry hop, especially after reading about the intense dankness of dryhopping with Mosaic, I didn't want to. I am not a huge fan of dankness as an upfront flavor.

I did not find any dankness in this recipe. Just blueberry, and probably a touch of citrus (separating that from Cascade will be impossible, though).