General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Dry hopping noob

<< < (2/3) > >>

thebigbaker:
+1 to just opening up your primary fermenter and dropping them in.  As for amount, I read on here in a previous post that some were saying that they could tell a difference in between 1 and 2 ounces, but not 2 and 3 ounces, so I've yet to drop in more than 2 ounces.

blatz:

--- Quote from: yso191 on November 30, 2012, 12:58:07 PM ---  My understanding is that 4 oz. for a 5 gallon batch is at the upper limit.

--- End quote ---

1oz/gal is probably the upper limit.  but then you can get into 2 and 3 stage dryhops, as you can see the variability never ends.

I've been experimenting with 0.5/gal lately and two stage (big charge up front for 10 days, then smaller charge in the keg for 3-4 before chilling down and carbing) and have really preferred the results over my historical method of 0.25/gal in the fermenter for a week, then 0.25/gal in the keg till it kicks.

yso191:
Thanks guys!  I think I'll see if the LHBS has any citra.  I don't want to open my 4 oz. pack because I don't have the ability to vacuum seal it, and I don't think I'll be brewing a batch with citra for a couple of months.

Steve

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: yso191 on November 30, 2012, 02:17:30 PM ---Thanks guys!  I think I'll see if the LHBS has any citra.  I don't want to open my 4 oz. pack because I don't have the ability to vacuum seal it, and I don't think I'll be brewing a batch with citra for a couple of months.

Steve

--- End quote ---

you don't have to worry too much. If you roll the foil package up tight, put it in a zip lock and suck/squeeze as much air out as you can and pop it in the freezer it will be fine for a couple months.

thebigbaker:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on November 30, 2012, 02:24:19 PM ---
--- Quote from: yso191 on November 30, 2012, 02:17:30 PM ---Thanks guys!  I think I'll see if the LHBS has any citra.  I don't want to open my 4 oz. pack because I don't have the ability to vacuum seal it, and I don't think I'll be brewing a batch with citra for a couple of months.

Steve

--- End quote ---

you don't have to worry too much. If you roll the foil package up tight, put it in a zip lock and suck/squeeze as much air out as you can and pop it in the freezer it will be fine for a couple months.

--- End quote ---

+1 to putting in a zip lock and placing it in a freezer.  I try and get most of my hops by the pound, and storing them this way, I can't tell a difference from the fist hops out of the bag I use to the last hops I use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version