Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sparge for Picnic Cooler Tun  (Read 4276 times)

Offline wheelhousebrewing

• 1st Kit
Sparge for Picnic Cooler Tun
« on: November 23, 2012, 06:42:09 pm »
Any suggestions on devices to help automate sparging? I am using a picnic cooler mash/lauter tun.  To date, I have been ladling sparge water with a 1qt cup onto a plate held above the grain bed (using gloves of course).  It can be a pain, especially when I'd rather be measuring the runoff pH and grav.

Thanks for any ideas.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Re: Sparge for Picnic Cooler Tun
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 07:12:38 pm »
Why not just batch sparge?

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 07:20:36 pm »

+1!  Would save a lot of time and energy compared to what you are doing now.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 09:58:02 am »

+1!  Would save a lot of time and energy compared to what you are doing now.

+2!  One of the best process changes I've made.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 10:03:37 am »
+3!

With batch-sparging you're gonna get a great efficiency and have less of a headache overall. Fewer fiddly bits too. A very straight forward process and system.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 10:52:38 am »
First I'll say I've nothing against batch sparging.

I built a manifold from copper pipe (it was cheap back in the day) with slits I made with a hacksaw.  It rests on the top of the cooler and drips across the surface of the water.  I control the flow with a tubing clamp on the hose from the HLT.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline dean_palmer

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Journals
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 01:47:29 pm »
onto a plate held above the grain bed (using gloves of course).  It can be a pain, especially when I'd rather be measuring the runoff pH and grav.

As others have said, batch sparge, then don't worry about the PH and gravity for the most part. For when you vorlauf/recirculate to clear the wort, just find a plate or other item that will stay near the surface that you can just pour the wort onto in the mash tun. It can be a pie plate or anything. I used to use a tupperware lid because it floated. No reason you should need gloves for the operation, and no reason to have to hold it above the grain and liquid. Many times I just poured it back directly with no deflector and it never mattered.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Sparge for Picnic Cooler Tun
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 01:49:56 pm »
Many times I just poured it back directly with no deflector and it never mattered.

That's the way I've always done it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 02:40:56 pm »
First I'll say I've nothing against batch sparging.

I built a manifold from copper pipe (it was cheap back in the day) with slits I made with a hacksaw.  It rests on the top of the cooler and drips across the surface of the water.  I control the flow with a tubing clamp on the hose from the HLT.

another way to cut the slits is to use a pipe cutter and just go over about a third of the tubing back and forth.  less chance of nicking the knuckles.

that said, i just dump in with a pitcher
Don AHA member

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 08:26:12 am »
I've been very happy with the Blichmann auto sparge.  I gravity feed my sparge water and pump from mash tun to kettle.
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS