Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: RIMS Question  (Read 3683 times)

Offline brokenarrow

• 1st Kit
RIMS Question
« on: November 09, 2012, 11:29:45 am »
Earlier this year I built a custom sculpture and quickly thereafter I realized I needed to add a RIMS system due to the size of the batches. I'm pretty sure I have the idea and design down for the RIMS system, but I am unsure of one part. After the wort leaves the heating element and goes back into the mash how is it dispersed evenly over the top of the grain bed. Is it just a single hose laying on top of the bed or is there a disperser, like a shower head, that evenly lays it across the top of the grain bed?

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
Re: RIMS Question
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 11:56:53 am »
Mine is just a copper tube that returns into the mash down into the grain bed a few inches so the wort does not splash.  I have seen people make manifolds using copper or PVC with slots in it but they usually rest on top of the mash so the wort does not splash.
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 12:21:13 pm »
I have been researching RIMS systems recently, too.  I am almost finished building my sculpture.  From what I've read and seen in photos, tcanova's return is typical of most RIMS systems -- just a hose/tube that returns the wort to the mash.  Nothing too fancy about it.  I think I will probably make a copper manifold that sits just below the surface of the mash for mine.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 12:33:33 pm »
Mine is just a copper tube that returns into the mash down into the grain bed a few inches so the wort does not splash.  I have seen people make manifolds using copper or PVC with slots in it but they usually rest on top of the mash so the wort does not splash.

FWIW i think it is easier to cut slots using a pipe cutter over the area rather than a hack saw or even drilling holes.
Don AHA member

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 03:49:59 pm »
I use this adjustable return tube from Brew Hardware.  Food grade and safe up to 170 F.

http://www.brewhardware.com/accessories/114-mashtube
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 10:24:29 pm »
I use this adjustable return tube from Brew Hardware.  Food grade and safe up to 170 F.

Does that thing float on the surface of the mash well?
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 01:43:26 pm »

Does that thing float on the surface of the mash well?

It is adjustable.  You can bend it every which direction.  I place it toward the edge, just under the surface of the mash and run my recirculation loop.  If I'm running a larger or smaller grain bill, I just adjust it up or down to maintain this position.

I don't use the Camlock fitting pictured.  I already had a threaded return port in my kettle.  So I just screwed it on.  It pops off with a little pressure for cleaning.  Great little piece of equipment.  I tried the silicone hose return.  But I could never get it to stay exactly where I wanted.  It tended to sink.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:55:19 am by dcbc »
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline dean_palmer

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Journals
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 02:15:41 pm »

Mine is just silicone tubing with a "T" and it stays just below the surface of the mash. Lifted for the pic. I used to use a foam float on it, but doesn't seem to need it.

It comes right from the RIMS tube sitting between the mash tun and the brew kettle, and when it is time for the wort to go into the kettle I just stop the flow for a second, shake off any debris, and move this to the kettle. Nothing more needed.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:18:51 pm by dean_palmer »