Author Topic: Dryhopping in bags: Am I Oxidizing?  (Read 2636 times)

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Dryhopping in bags: Am I Oxidizing?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 02:43:52 PM »
i think the answer is to just get some weights.

FWIW, I do put the dryhops in when I get to about 1.014-1.018 or so, as per Matt Brynildson's advice - seems like a good idea.

I do both - dryhop at the end of primary then in the keg.

I've noticed more grassy/vegetal pickup when I'm dryhopping on the cold side. I'll normally rack into the keg on dryhops, and remove this charge in a few days (7 max) before it goes into the kegorator.

To get the hop bag out of the keg, I tie a fishing bobber to it with fishing line. (One I've never used for fishing)

@southhousebrew

Indianapolis, IN

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments:
http://southhousepilotbrewery.blogspot.com/

Offline blatz

• Brewmaster General
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 02:48:44 PM »
Yeah been dryhopping in the keg for years - great but can get grassy/vegetal.

Either I don't get that from dry hopping in the keg, or I don't notice it, or I must like it.  At any rate, I've never found it to be a problem.

I don't always - and generally speaking, I have felt the way you do in the past, but I have had some batches of IPA lately that were great at first, then had a grassy, vegetal-ness to them by mid-keg that I didn't care for.  I am really trying to capture that bright hop character that I get out of  Blind Pig or Stone, etc.  which is why I've been trying things out like whirlpooling/hop stands with HUGE late additions and then HUGE dryhop additions on top of that - I've definitely been too stingy with hops and with 20# plus in my freezer at any given time, its silly to not give things a go.

Just experimenting with different methods - may go back to the old way of just keg hopping if I find I prefer the results that way.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HobsonDrake

• Cellarman
  • I think, therefore I brew.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 03:03:14 PM »
I had a problem finding something to sink the bag in my fermetnter. My solution was to take a bottle and fill it with sand, add water and cap. I put the bottle in the gain bag and the hops (whole leaf) aroung the bottle.
So far it has worked well.
John
>Under Construction- Brown Ale (4/5)
>In Bottles- Just Plain Pale Ale (12/12) - First Lager (12/28)
>On Tap - Guinness Clone (5/13) - Dry Hopped Red - Wascally Wabbit PA (11/19) - Barley wine (10/2009) - Nut Brown Ale(6/6)

Offline beersk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 04:33:40 PM »
Paul, this may be the same thing I've been experiencing with my hoppy beers, a grassy, vegetal flavor.  I dumped two beers last week that turned out that way. Trying to figure out the same issue, myself.
Watch out for those Cross Dressing Amateurs!

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 06:01:45 PM »
Heh Blatz. 
I was looking for some panty hose the other day and though about you. :o

Offline blatz

• Brewmaster General
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 07:02:56 PM »
Heh Blatz. 
I was looking for some panty hose the other day and though about you. :o

As long as you were only visualizing me stuffing them with tons of simcoe, chinook and Amarillo that's good!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Online ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 05:49:03 AM »
I used stainless tea balls with good result.  My beers don't generally last long enough to get vegetal this way (pellets), but I also beer gun a batch into bottles if it sits a while longer than I want or to open up a slot on the fridge.  Never seem to have a problem, but maybe my palate is not too discerning.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dean_palmer

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
    • The Beer Journals
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 11:35:56 AM »
I dry hop in the serving keg with stainless steel keg valve balls in the bag, and a string tied to the underside of the lid for easy removal. Would work the same for conicals.

Online ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 12:08:05 PM »
I like that arrangement with the SS clamp to hold it in place!  I will have to try that!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"