Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: high gravity stout  (Read 2755 times)

Offline cascobaybrewer

• 1st Kit
high gravity stout
« on: December 02, 2012, 04:06:11 pm »
I just recently brewed a dark chocolate chili stout, and when i took the original gravity reading @ 68 deg it came out as 1.150. BIG, VERY BIG! I used a combination of amber and dark extract weighing 7.5 lbs plus 3 oz cacao powder. engine oil! could my reading be wrong in anyway? thoughts? 

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: high gravity stout
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 05:40:35 pm »
Assuming this was for 5 gallons, your reading must have been off. Maybe you didn't have enough wort to test and the hydrometer was sitting on the bottom of the cylinder?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
high gravity stout
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 05:47:48 pm »
Have you calibrated your hydrometer?

That seems to be really high..so high in fact that it would likely be difficult for a typical beer to ferment properly.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 08:54:41 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 07:12:53 pm »
Sounds to me like something went wrong with taking the reading.

Out of curiosity, I ran the numbers through my software (Brewtarget, 'cause I'm one of those crazy Linux people). 7.5 lbs of LME should only give you a gravity of about 1.054. Heck, 7.5lbs each of amber and dark LME only gives me a gravity of 1.108. I don't have the data for cocoa powder, but it seems unlikely that your hydrometer reading was correct. Might have been resting on the bottom, might have gotten stuck to the wall of your test cylinder, the paper might have shifted (check the gravity of water to rule this one out).
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 08:58:22 pm »
Sounds like stratification to me. Did you do a partial boil, then top off to get your full volume? If the boiled wort isn't fully mixed in with the topoff water, then you won't get an accurate gravity reading.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 07:49:06 am »
Sounds like stratification to me. Did you do a partial boil, then top off to get your full volume? If the boiled wort isn't fully mixed in with the topoff water, then you won't get an accurate gravity reading.

I agree that this sounds likely.  I get high readings regularly if I do not make sure my wort and top off are thoroughly mixed.

It could also be that your volume is wrong.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 09:28:31 am »

I agree that this sounds likely.  I get high readings regularly if I do not make sure my wort and top off are thoroughly mixed.

It could also be that your volume is wrong.

I'll third the stratification.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline cascobaybrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 06:06:55 pm »
yeah (shakes head slowly) that makes total sense. Next time I do a O.G. I will make sure that the wort and top off water are thoroughly mixed. Thank you so much!