Other than Brewing > The Pub

Absente

(1/4) > >>

euge:
I know this isn't a new product since Absinthe actually has been legal in the States for quite some time now. This stuff is as probably as close to the classic absinthe one can get with 10mg thujone per serving. According to my research this is most likely more ppm than the original product. Regardless, I'm fairly sure that thujone isn't the main effector in this drink but is part of a synergistic medley of herbs.

I've had a pastis everyday between the classic 5-6 pm to celebrate the drink and to stimulate the appetite.

It's fairly nice with just ice but thought I'd demonstrate the "louche" without the wasteful flaming of the sugar-cubes. Dilute about 3-1 and serve well chilled. Sip and enjoy the delicate flavors.

I get some indefinable stimulation but where it really shows up is the effect on my dreaming. Very vivid and complex. Ever see Inception...?

a10t2:

--- Quote from: euge on December 02, 2012, 05:07:29 PM ---Regardless, I'm fairly sure that thujone isn't the main effector in this drink but is part of a synergistic medley of herbs.
--- End quote ---

I always figured it was just because it's 130 proof. ;)

euge:
That has been a main point of those that say there is no "effect" other than the strong presence of alcohol. I'm fairly new to this particular liquor so can't say definitively but it seems to be a very possible.

Quite tasty if you like anise- which I do... Absinthe as an aperitif is quite excellent.

dimik:
I don't think alcohol has any effect on how vivid your dreams are. I get the most vivid and just stunningly beautiful dreams when I haven't had a drink in days. It's probably something in the herbs used to make it, but who knows...
Speaking of dreams, I just had an amazing one where I fell in love with an undead cat whom I took to my diabolical b**** ex-girlfriend (who was a necromancer) to bring back to life... Talk about complex!

hopfenundmalz:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on December 02, 2012, 05:11:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: euge on December 02, 2012, 05:07:29 PM ---Regardless, I'm fairly sure that thujone isn't the main effector in this drink but is part of a synergistic medley of herbs.
--- End quote ---

I always figured it was just because it's 130 proof. ;)

--- End quote ---

Or even stronger from some of what I read back in the day, and they drank a lot of it.

Sage dressing in someones Thanksgiving meal had much more Thujone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version