General Category > Equipment and Software

Digital refractometer

<< < (3/3)

micsager:

--- Quote from: mainebrewer on December 05, 2012, 06:15:25 AM ---Besides, then I can drink the hydrometer sample!

--- End quote ---

Amen, Brother.  It's the first quality check of all my beers.  The IPA I kegged yesterday tasted very good in the tube.  We'll see once cold and carb'ed. 

Tom, if you're reading this, this is NOT the beer for the competition you may be judging.  Really, it's not.   LOL.

diybrewing:
I have that exact model. I own a malt testing lab and that is what I use. It is fast and accurate. IT is totally overkill but that is the point.
Their are two things you need to be prepared for when you use a digital model. First they are not as rugged as a handheld. We had to send one out because someone dropped it. We always make sure we do not wipe the glass but just soak up the water from it.
Second. In broad daylight it will not read. You will need to just cover it.
Other than that I have never noticed any inaccurracies at all.

mainebrewer:
When I first got mine, the reading were erratic. I could test the same sample three times and get three readings.
Two things I learned, one, when the instruction say fill the reservoir full, it means completely full, not just covering the little glass window and two, after filling the reservoir wait 30 secs and let the temp stabilize before hitting the READ button.
Using the default correction factor built into ProMash, I am always within 1 gravity point of my hydrometer.

svejk:
A friend pointed out that a digital refractometer is actually very inexpensive and practical afterall:

http://www.amazon.com/SBS-SBS-3500-Digital-Hydrometer-0-000-3-0000/dp/B006M49LNA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1358269917

ccfoo242:

--- Quote from: svejk on January 15, 2013, 02:38:53 PM ---A friend pointed out that a digital refractometer is actually very inexpensive and practical afterall:

http://www.amazon.com/SBS-SBS-3500-Digital-Hydrometer-0-000-3-0000/dp/B006M49LNA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1358269917

--- End quote ---

Lol it's on my list right after I order everything Blichmann makes.

*Sent from the future using Tapatalk Quantum Edition*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version