General Category > Equipment and Software

Digital refractometer

<< < (2/3) > >>

mainebrewer:
I have a digital refractometer, not the brand that the OP referenced but similar.
I've found it works very well and, after comparing a reading from it and a hydrometer for several batches, I've found that the two are always within a gravity point or two of each other.
I don't use the refractometer for the FG reading due to the alcohol.

ccfoo242:

--- Quote from: mainebrewer on December 04, 2012, 06:28:21 AM ---I have a digital refractometer, not the brand that the OP referenced but similar.
I've found it works very well and, after comparing a reading from it and a hydrometer for several batches, I've found that the two are always within a gravity point or two of each other.
I don't use the refractometer for the FG reading due to the alcohol.

--- End quote ---

Which model do you have? There's one from Hanna Instruments also on amazon.

Also Sean Terrill's site does a great job at calculating final gravity using a refractometer.

*Sent from the future using Tapatalk Quantum Edition. Now with 20% more quantums.*

mainebrewer:
I have the Hanna.
I like to use the refractometer during the brewing process because it's quicker (smaller samples, don't have to wait while the sample cools, etc.)
I've seen Sean's spreadsheet and it works.
I just use the hydrometer for the FG reading because I always have!
Besides, then I can drink the hydrometer sample! 

ccfoo242:

--- Quote from: mainebrewer on December 05, 2012, 06:15:25 AM ---...then I can drink the hydrometer sample!

--- End quote ---

You, sir, make a good point!

*Sent from the future using Tapatalk Quantum Edition*

redzim:

--- Quote from: mainebrewer on December 05, 2012, 06:15:25 AM ---I have the Hanna.
I like to use the refractometer during the brewing process because it's quicker (smaller samples, don't have to wait while the sample cools, etc.)
I've seen Sean's spreadsheet and it works.
I just use the hydrometer for the FG reading because I always have!
Besides, then I can drink the hydrometer sample!

--- End quote ---

I have this one http://www.amazon.com/Hanna-Instruments-Digital-Refractometer-Analysis/dp/B002NX0WHI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1356794437&sr=8-2&keywords=hanna+refractometer

Piece of cake to use during brew day to see how close I'm getting to OG. I used to use it a lot more than I do now though, I guess because my recipes and process have become pretty standardized over the last 2 years.   Probably overkill, there are better things to spend your $166 on... I still go with a trusted hydrometer during fermentation though

I use it more for maple sapping / syrup season.... it's a breeze to carry in the sugar bush and spot check the trees... and you gotta get your syrup to 66 Brix in the boil house... now that's a time of year coming on soon here in upstate NY!

-red

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version