General Category > All Grain Brewing

OG right after pitching yeast

<< < (2/2)

denny:

--- Quote from: tschmidlin on December 03, 2012, 10:16:04 AM ---And I agree with what major said re: pitching temp.

--- End quote ---

+ 1.060

In The Sand:

--- Quote from: tschmidlin on December 03, 2012, 10:16:04 AM ---If it was a partial boil and you added water to it after the fact, then it's possible that you didn't mix it well enough and 1.071 is not the right number.  If it was a full wort boil then yeah, 1.071 is the number.

And I agree with what major said re: pitching temp.

--- End quote ---

It was a full boil.  I may have to get a more efficient chilling process if I want to get it down to 68 or below.  I use a homemade immersion chiller and ice bath in a big wash tub.  I can chill to 70-75 range in about 20 minutes.

repo:
You were not going to hit 1.086, with that recipe. You would be lucky to get 75% mash efficiency at this point in time. You told beersmith you would get 75% brewhouse efficiency, this is a quite an aggressive expectation this early in your brewing. I think 1.071 was about what to expect.

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: htaytobrewing on December 03, 2012, 10:36:30 AM ---
--- Quote from: tschmidlin on December 03, 2012, 10:16:04 AM ---If it was a partial boil and you added water to it after the fact, then it's possible that you didn't mix it well enough and 1.071 is not the right number.  If it was a full wort boil then yeah, 1.071 is the number.

And I agree with what major said re: pitching temp.

--- End quote ---

It was a full boil.  I may have to get a more efficient chilling process if I want to get it down to 68 or below.  I use a homemade immersion chiller and ice bath in a big wash tub.  I can chill to 70-75 range in about 20 minutes.

--- End quote ---

you have a controled temp fermentation chamber? just pop the wort in there over night after getting it down to 75ish with the temp control set to 62-64, in the morning it will be just right. aerate and pitch then.

davidgzach:

[/quote]

I agree with the pitching temp as well.  If you can get to 70-75 in 20 minutes, I would think you can get to 65F in 30 minutes?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version