General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

Well...I drank my first homebrew

<< < (2/7) > >>

gsandel:
Now that you've had one....pay attention to them over time.  If you bottle conditioned and tried it after 2-3 weeks, it may not be fully carbonated (depending on temperature).  this might account for the sweetness as well....1.010 should be nicely fermented (depending where you started, but an Irish Red should have started in the 1.040s-50s).  I also noted in my experience that a nice creamy head tends to develop after 4-6 weeks after bottling and as long as there isn't oxidation the flavor complexity improves...so you might be surprised in a few weeks as the character changes.

Good luck trying to save them from yourself.

I think you answered your own questions about what to do next time.....find a way to actually boil as much wort as you can.

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: hd3 on December 03, 2012, 11:15:40 AM ---Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

My OG was 1044 which was spot on for my kit.

I have to figure out the oxidation situation.  I don't want to ruin batches due to this problem. 

I am hoping some more time to carb will help.  It has been carbing for 2 weeks at room temp (65 degrees). 

Cheers to progress on the next batch!  I'm thinking of an IPA.

--- End quote ---

give us a rundown on your process and we can maybe pinpoint any oxidation points. If you are doing extract batches the OG should pretty much always be spot on with what the kit says.

How much sugar did you use to prime? did you make sure it was well mixed with the beer before bottling? if so, how did you ensure mixing? That's a tricky moment because you want the sugar thouroghly mixed in to avoid variable carbonation levels in the bottles but you also want to be very gentle with the beer to avoid oxidiation.

denny:
Id it was LME, it's possible the extract was already oxidized and it didn't happen during the process.

Herminator:
Here is the rundown of the process.

Steeped the grains for the indicated time (30 minutes)
Got the water up to a small boil (as I couldn't get it up to a rolling boil) and put in the extract.
Added the hops at the indicated intervals
Boiled for 60 minutes and then cooled it in an ice bath.  Super slow and for sure need to get a chiller.
Racked it into a 6 gallon carboy and pitched the yeast.
Swirled and rocked it to get the yeast going. 

After about 24 hours started to see fermentation activity but it only lasted about 2 days and then the krausen sunk back down. 
Sat in the primary for 2 weeks.
Racked it into the secondary, trying to avoid splashing and sealed it up.  Sat in the secondary for 2 weeks and clarity greatly improved.

Bottling day.  Sanitized all my equipment and bottles. 
Mixed up the priming solution.  The kit came with priming sugar but did not indicate what kind of sugar it was.  The instructions indicated 2/3 cup in 16oz of water for corn sugar or 5/8 cup in 16oz of water for table sugar.
The sugar was rather fine and made the assumption of 2/3 in 16oz.  It had roughly another 1/4 -1/3 of a cup left in the bag.  But I figured I would follow the instructions rather than use all the priming sugar it came with.

Boiled the sugar and water and let it cool.   

Added the priming solution to the bottling bucket then racked from the secondary to the bucket.  Mixed it with my auto siphon.  Trying to avoid splashing but tried to ensure mixture with some figure 8 motions.

Then bottling.  A little more difficult at the beginning with some spilling but got significantly better after a few bottles. Filled 24 bottles then capped.  Filled the other 24 and capped.

Sat at room temp for 2 weeks. 

That is a rough rundown.  Any suggestions or thoughts are helpful. 

Joe Sr.:
Skip the secondary, as it is generally unnecessary.

Two days to ferment a smallish beer is not out of the ordinary.

Even at room temp, I'd give it more than two weeks to carb up fully.

Although I never did so, it's better practice to weigh your priming sugar than to go by volume.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version