Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I am thinking about buying a keg  (Read 6906 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: I am thinking about buying a keg
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 11:11:36 am »
Deep well sockets are for suckers. ;)  Get yourself one of these - one wrench for all of your cornies.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-11-16-x-7-8-in-wrench-offset-ratchet/p-00943365000P?prdNo=10&blockNo=10&blockType=G10

Not if you already have a tool box with 3/8 and 1/2 drive deep wells.
Yes, even then ;D You need to pull that stuff out and swap sockets as needed, mine hangs on a hook and I can flip it around as needed as I go from keg to keg.  After using one for a while it became something I insist on having.  Now I have two at home and one at the side job (soda in cornies).

That would assume I only have one drive in each size.  ;)

What's that swap sockets stuff?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 11:56:03 am »
If needed, everything else can be reached with a toilet brush or by disassembling the keg.

A new, un-used toilet brush dedicated to cleaning kegs and nothing else.  This is important.

Not so fast my friend!  Euge said he uses a paint stirrer for paint and wort.  So I'm thinking if I just soak the brush in  StarSan then ... 

P.S.  glad things are looking up for you Euge.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 04:42:14 pm »
I have to admit this is true.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 01:24:49 am »
It should go without saying...  I guess I now know how to make a beer that tastes like ass.
;D

That would assume I only have one drive in each size.  ;) 

What's that swap sockets stuff?
I can still hang mine on a hook. ;)  AND, the 7/8 one fits the fitting on my burner so I can use it to hook up the propane tanks.  Of course I can't get the wrench off until I am done with the burner, but then I don't clean kegs on brew days so it doesn't matter.

Not so fast my friend!  Euge said he uses a paint stirrer for paint and wort.  So I'm thinking if I just soak the brush in  StarSan then ... 
You might actually be able to sufficiently clean and sanitize one so there would be nothing transferred.  But the ick factor . . . there's no cleaning that off.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 07:05:32 am »
You might actually be able to sufficiently clean and sanitize one so there would be nothing transferred.  But the ick factor . . . there's no cleaning that off.
And... a toilet brush has a much more complex surface than a paint stirrer. Think a scratched up plastic bucket is hard to sanitize? Way more nooks and crannies here!

And the solvents probably keep paint sanitized.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 07:40:28 am »
I do make sure there isn't any paint left on the stirrer. And this has only pertained to water-based paints. A toilet-brush could be sanitized but is a different beast altogether. As was stated by Tom the ick factor is just too strong!

I use a regular kitchen sponge that is gripped by one of these:

Whatever it is called...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis