Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegging without a fridge  (Read 5916 times)

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Kegging without a fridge
« on: December 03, 2012, 09:05:25 pm »
I want to start kegging but I don't have a dedicated fridge.  Can I keg at room temp and fill a growler to put in the fridge?
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Kegging without a fridge
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 09:12:25 pm »
I could be wrong, but that may work.  It just may take longer to carb the beer at the higher temps. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 09:31:17 pm »
Ok. Well, if I use my fermentation freezer to carbonate but then remove the keg and keep it at room temperature will that mess up the carbonation?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 09:49:33 pm »
It's way less than ideal to do it that way, I think the beer will be either flat or practically impossible to put in a growler without a lot of trouble.  You could chill the keg and then bottle the whole batch.  Or you could get some of those mugs you put in the freezer where the sides are filled with water, those work well.  Or you could build a jockey box and just throw some ice in it when you want to pour a beer.

Ok. Well, if I use my fermentation freezer to carbonate but then remove the keg and keep it at room temperature will that mess up the carbonation?
If you are serving at room temp, yes - as it warms up the co2 will be less soluble, so some of it will come out of solution.  You'll end up with higher pressure in the keg headspace and your beer will be flatter and pour foamy.

If you serve at carb temp/pressure with a period of warmth in the middle, it will not affect the carbonation.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 09:53:12 pm »
Hmm. OK, thanks. I think I will wait until I can get another fridge or freezer.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 09:57:34 pm »
How often do you brew?  I served out of my fermentation fridge when I wasn't fermenting in it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 10:25:12 pm »
How often do you brew?  I served out of my fermentation fridge when I wasn't fermenting in it.

I'm thinking about doing that. I had been brewing once every 2 weeks but life got in the way for the last 3 months. I can wait until I can get a dedicated fridge. My wife wanted to get me something brew related for xmas but adding the fridge puts it wait out of our price range for now.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 10:28:44 pm »
It is wintertime. In most parts of the country you can serve most beer at ambient temp nicely. When I first started kegging it was good enough to keep the kegs in the back room away from any heat and it was not overly warm or foamy. It was generally in the 50s or 60s in my backroom.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 10:34:46 pm »
It is wintertime. In most parts of the country you can serve most beer at ambient temp nicely. When I first started kegging it was good enough to keep the kegs in the back room away from any heat and it was not overly warm or foamy. It was generally in the 50s or 60s in my backroom.

Hehe, you should try that in Florida! I'm still wearing shorts.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 11:12:32 pm »

Hehe, you should try that in Florida! I'm still wearing shorts.

gotcha. well you could also try a swamp cooler but it's probably pretty humid down there too.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline neemox

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 12:32:25 am »
My wife wanted to get me something brew related for xmas but adding the fridge puts it wait out of our price range for now.

I don't know what exactly the price range is, but for me, the hardware for the kegging and serving was way more expensive than the fridge. Lots of people will give away fridges for scrap that are capable of holding 45° but may not be able to hold the 34 they were shooting for. In the same day I found a fridge to build into my kegerator and another to use as a cheese cave on craigslist. IIRC, spent less than 50 bucks on both, both are still working great (and relatively efficiently because I leave them much warmer than they are designed to go. Something to look for anyway.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 06:18:43 am »
+1.  You should be able to find a working fridge on Craigslist cheap....I found an upright freezer for $100. 
Dave Zach

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 10:16:30 am »
When I started kegging I used a 2.5 gallon corny because it just fit in a dorm fridge.  I would transfer from the 5 gallon cornies to the 2.5 and leave the half filled keg at cellar temperature.  I used this until I moved to a house with a dedicated beer fridge.
On Tap: 10 yr old Barleywine, Porter, Vienna Lager

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 11:08:22 am »
As luck would have it a friend of mine has a 7 cubic foot freezer I can have in January. That will give me the time I need to arrange the garage for another freezer. *dances a jig*

*Sent from the future using Tapatalk Quantum Edition*

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 12:34:57 pm »
I want to start kegging but I don't have a dedicated fridge.  Can I keg at room temp and fill a growler to put in the fridge?

I don't have a dedicated fridge and have been kegging for about 3 years.  My basement maintains a range of 58F-80F.  I pour off into a 2 liters sealed with carb caps.  Allows me to chill it and drink as I like.  Pour a glass, and then apply CO2 via the cap. 

Works fine for me until  I ever finish my basement and get a fridge down there.  Even then, I have about 10 kegs, so not all fit anyway.