Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegging without a fridge  (Read 5887 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Kegging without a fridge
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 10:10:09 pm »
I want to start kegging but I don't have a dedicated fridge.  Can I keg at room temp and fill a growler to put in the fridge?

I don't have a dedicated fridge and have been kegging for about 3 years.  My basement maintains a range of 58F-80F.  I pour off into a 2 liters sealed with carb caps.  Allows me to chill it and drink as I like.  Pour a glass, and then apply CO2 via the cap. 

Works fine for me until  I ever finish my basement and get a fridge down there.  Even then, I have about 10 kegs, so not all fit anyway.
Dur, I should have thought of that.  I have some carb caps I use for making soda, it works like a charm.  Should do the same for beer.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 07:25:27 am »
One could always use a 10 gallon Rubbermaid (cylindrical) water cooler and place the keg in. The dimensions are: 20.5" x 19.19" x 15.85". This means a corny would just be sticking out of the top.

Fill with water and swap frozen ice bottles out daily to keep at serving temp. Might not have to be daily either- especially as the beer level drops; and one could let some water out at some point so the keg doesn't start bobbing.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 07:58:35 am »
I keep most of my kegs at about 55 - 60 when they are not in the fridge (I can only fit two).

This is a decent temp to pour a stout or other English ale and they are not overly foamy.  But I've found it's too warm for the Belgians.

If I'm planning to have a couple or if I'm taking some to a friends, I'll fill a two liter as mentioned above and give it a short charge of gas.  I've also filled growlers at this temp and they seem just fine as far as carbonation once chilled down a little more.

Now that it's winter, I'll struggle to keep that room of my basement as warm as 50.  Which is nice for beer but not so nice for the wine.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton