General Category > Ingredients

Dry Hopping research - Interesting

<< < (2/7) > >>

morticaixavier:
Insight in how to get rid of that unpleasant onion/foot aroma with certain hops!

--- Quote ---[...]it had been shown that adding granular copper dramatically reduced the presence of currant-like and onion aromas in beer[...]
--- End quote ---

erockrph:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on December 04, 2012, 09:27:52 AM ---Insight in how to get rid of that unpleasant onion/foot aroma with certain hops!

--- Quote ---[...]it had been shown that adding granular copper dramatically reduced the presence of currant-like and onion aromas in beer[...]
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Hmmm... looks like a Summit/BB IPA may be in the works...

Alewyfe:
WOT? No comments on the possibility that you may be able to shave "days" off your dry hopping regimen?

The author makes the conclusion that dry hopping (unstirred) for more than 6 hours (with pellets, it was longer for cones) is accomplishing little in the way of additional aroma, and that extended periods of dry hopping are actually counter productive. Torpedo, Randall, Rocket...all used to provide increased aroma.
Could this partly be because of the shorter contact time with the hops?

Also, dry hopped hops still have all their bittering compounds in tact....Could we throw 'em in the freezer and use to bitter the next batch??? I always enjoy saving a few bucks.

I'm planning some experimentation soon.

denny:
Kinda looks like I'm doing the right thing...I don't weight the hop bags but I do swirl the fermenter a couple times a day.

hopfenundmalz:
I had seen references to the aromatics being extracted in 24 hours. Much new stuff here to read and understand.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version