General Category > Kegging and Bottling

Keg System pressure

<< < (5/5)

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: tschmidlin on December 06, 2012, 11:56:43 AM ---In my system I find that for 12 psi, 6 feet of 3/16" line gives me a pour I like.  That's 2 psi/foot, not accounting for losses in the fittings, shank, faucet, or that the faucet is more than a foot higher than the center of the keg.

--- End quote ---
Now I'm thinking, hold my beer...

Everyone talks about it like resistance should equal psi, but shouldn't there be some unmet resistance. Else the beer would just dribble out of the faucet and not foam much at all. I know if I set my psi too low, the pour is really slow with no head. Raise it up 2psi and it pours much better. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the ideal pressure at the faucet is, I'm guessing it is not zero.

a10t2:

--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on December 06, 2012, 02:27:57 PM ---I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the ideal pressure at the faucet is, I'm guessing it is not zero.
--- End quote ---

I think if you look in the DQM it recommends 5 psi of over-pressure, because bars are happy to trade foam for a faster pour (up to a certain point, anyway). For a more "natural" pour without any spillage, I'd say probably 1-2 psi.

tschmidlin:
Yeah, I don't know what the pressure should be really. I just do some math, add a foot or two, and see how the pour is.  Then adjust as necessary.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version