General Category > Kegging and Bottling

Keg System pressure

<< < (2/5) > >>

neemox:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on December 04, 2012, 11:19:15 AM ---rock and roll carbing is great. I do it all the time. but do it at serving pressure. yes 30PSI will get you there faster but it will also get you WAY over your target faster. set at 10, rock for 10 minutes or until it stops refilling. I like to hold my keg by the top handle and the bottom foot with the gas post down gas attached (never had suck back) and shift back and forth on my feet until the gas entry slows way down. It's usually okay after that but it's gunky and cloudy till the next day and the carb is better once it settles anyway.

--- End quote ---
So do you only rock it for ten minutes, then set it back in the fridge? This sounds like my problem. I have been carbing at 30psi for upwards of 30-40 minutes, til their is no-more gas going in whatsoever.

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: neemox on December 04, 2012, 11:29:40 AM ---
--- Quote from: morticaixavier on December 04, 2012, 11:19:15 AM ---rock and roll carbing is great. I do it all the time. but do it at serving pressure. yes 30PSI will get you there faster but it will also get you WAY over your target faster. set at 10, rock for 10 minutes or until it stops refilling. I like to hold my keg by the top handle and the bottom foot with the gas post down gas attached (never had suck back) and shift back and forth on my feet until the gas entry slows way down. It's usually okay after that but it's gunky and cloudy till the next day and the carb is better once it settles anyway.

--- End quote ---
So do you only rock it for ten minutes, then set it back in the fridge? This sounds like my problem. I have been carbing at 30psi for upwards of 30-40 minutes, til their is no-more gas going in whatsoever.

--- End quote ---

yeah you are way overcarbed. think about denny's comment above as well but if you are shaking at 30PSI until no more gas goes in it's the equivelant of carbing at 30 PSI. I think the guideline for carbing at higher pressure is to fill the keg, take the gas off and shake, rest and repeat once or twice more. But I like carbing at serving pressure better.

--- Quote from: denny on December 04, 2012, 11:26:10 AM ---The dispense tubing sounds too short and too thin to get a good balance.

--- End quote ---

wouldn't thinner line create more restriction and therefore need less length? I use ~4 foot 3/16 ID and it works fine 8-12 PSI (a little foamy at 12)

neemox:
On http://www.draughtquality.org/ they have a troubleshooting chart and one of the things they list is:
"Beer foaming in jumper – keg valve seal torn or ripped". When they say jumper, do they mean my dispensing line? I have one clear line and I do see bubbles forming in the line occasionally, but I think this troubleshooting chart is talking about Sankey issues that don't apply??

They do mention getting larger and longer hoses can help this problem. I'll pick up some 3/16 ID and see what happens.

I'll also NOT overcarb this next batch and see how that goes. I have had this problem on commercial kegs as well, which is what made me think it might have been a regulator issue, but perhaps this is all a funciton of overcarbonation and short skinny beer lines

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: neemox on December 04, 2012, 11:06:54 AM ---The beer pours at 40°F, the keg line is 4 ft of 1/4"id hose, in the fridge entirely.

--- End quote ---
I have 9 feet of 3/16"ID hose with 10psi. A larger ID hose and shorter length won't provide the needed resistance.

--- Quote from: neemox on December 04, 2012, 11:06:54 AM ---I force carb, and haven't ever looked at volumes of CO2 very accurately. I just rock the keg at 30 psi til it stops chirping (I chill the keg first) and then let it sit. I vent the excess pressure and then *try* to serve at 10 psi.

--- End quote ---
I think this is your problem right here.

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on December 04, 2012, 11:33:02 AM ---wouldn't thinner line create more restriction and therefore need less length? I use ~4 foot 3/16 ID and it works fine 8-12 PSI (a little foamy at 12)

--- End quote ---
Yes, but 1/4" is wider than 3/16".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version