General Category > Equipment and Software

Wort chilling: money available, solution desperately wanted

<< < (2/2)

--- Quote from: galapagos jim on December 04, 2012, 12:14:34 PM ---March pump is on the way. That's why I've only got $100 of birthday money left! :D

What do I need for a recirculating setup? Do I just run a hose from the outlet of the pump into the kettle? Am I attempting to create a whirlpool?

--- End quote ---

Yeah, that's the way I do it.  If you have more creativity and incentive than I do, you can build a fancy return on your chiller to hook it up to.  I just aim the return hose against the side of my kettle to create a whirlpool.

One of the big terms in the equation is the surface area the heat is exchanged over. A 1/2 inch 50 foot coil does great for me on 10 gallon batches of ale.

Another big term is the Delta-T between the wort and cooling water. In the winter, I can quickly to ale pitching temperature. I recirculate like in Jamil's article.

To get down to lager temperature, I switch to a pond pump in an ice bath. Some ideas in the "Beat the Heat" article towards the bottom of the page.

This is a simple submersible pump. i fill my mash tun after the grain is out and then put it in.  i use foam ice packs that i get cheap at work.  recirculate.  the view pictured is a heat exchanger made that has my immersion cooler inside the bucket. quite honestly i could just circulate the cold water through the immersion cooler as well. set it up mostly to see if possible. really not worth effort as i can just throw my kettle in the fridge overnight

Here's the pump and quick disconnects I use.

*Sent from the future using Tapatalk Quantum Edition*

galapagos jim:

--- Quote from: hopfenundmalz on December 04, 2012, 01:00:03 PM --- I recirculate like in Jamil's article.

--- End quote ---

That was most helpful.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I just bought a recirc arm for my IC from MoreBeer. Yeah, I could just point the hose in there like Denny, but birthday money was meant to be spent on frivolous toys. ;)

I'm going to look into recirculating chilled water into the IC, too. Was kinda already planning on doing that, and your suggestions have been informative in that direction.

Thanks again, all!

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version