Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Competition question...  (Read 17721 times)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
NHC Competition question...
« on: December 04, 2012, 01:14:08 pm »
so I'm brewing as fast as I can for NHC 2013.  I see February 26th is shown as the day we can start registering entries.  I also know we have to pay shortly after registering.
My concern is that I may be paying for entries before they are ready, and as such before I know if they are any good. 
Therefore my question is:  After I pay, can I still edit my entries?  In other words, if I register/pay for an entry and two weeks later decide it isn't very good, can I change that entry to a category I've got on hand that *IS* good?

(I assume this was never a problem until recent years when the contest started filling up in record time...)

thanks in advance...this is the first time I'll enter; looking forward to it.
cheers--
--Michael

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
Re: NHC Competition question...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 09:28:13 am »
Hi Michael,

That's great that you are already brewing for the competition!

The online registration opens February 26th at 1 p.m. Mountain Time.  After you enter the brews, you must pay for your entries within 24 hours, or the entries will be deleted and you'll have to input the information again.  Once your paid entries are registered, the registration system will allow you to edit your entries until noon (12 Mountain Time) on Friday, March 15, 2013.  The registration will still allow you to print your labels until the end of the shipping window which is 5 p.m. Mountain Time on Wednesday, March 27, 2013.

Good luck in the competition!

Cheers,
    Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 10:03:25 am »
Sorry Janis, I forgot to thank you for your prompt answer to my question.

Next questions:  Any updates on if first round entries will still only require one bottle? 
And last year there was talk of a possible limit on entries per person - any update on that?

thanks in advance--
--Michael

Offline Janis

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 11:45:51 am »
Hi Michael,

Based on all of the feedback from last year's competition, there are a number of changes being implemented this year.  The AHA will be making the changes known on the front page of our web site, through social media, on the Forum, etc. in the next week or two.

Good luck in the competition!

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
AHA Project Coordinator

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 09:02:12 am »
Looks like the changes have been posted:

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/community/news/show?title=national-homebrew-competition-sees-changes-in-2013

- 15 entry cap
- Eliminating the Canadian qualifier and adding a new extra US 1st round site
- $2 increase in entry fees to help fund enhancements to the 1st round comps

And a couple of other things.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 09:22:41 am »
Gary was on The Brewing Network last Sunday and explained the reasons behind some of the changes. The changes seem to have been made for good reasons.  I was surprised that a lot of the Canadian qualifiers didn't send their beers to the 2nd round.

I love the tiebreaker rules for Ninkasi too, with a coin flip at the end ( but very unlikely to ever reach that point ).
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Janis

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 09:37:17 am »
Thanks Clint.

In addition to Clint's summary, here are the rest of the changes for 2013:

+ Two (2) bottles per entry are required in the First Round.
+ The tiebreaker rules for the Ninkasi Award have been changed/expanded due to the 15 entries per person rule.
+ There are 11 Judge Centers in the U.S. this year.  These have been registered with the BJCP, but here is the list of cities with First Round competitions: Seattle, San Francisco, San Diego, Denver, Tulsa (OK), Kansas City (MO), Saint Paul, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Zanesville (OH), and New York City.

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
AHA Project Coordinator

Offline Janis

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 11:30:42 am »
Gary was on The Brewing Network last Sunday and explained the reasons behind some of the changes. The changes seem to have been made for good reasons.  I was surprised that a lot of the Canadian qualifiers didn't send their beers to the 2nd round.

I love the tiebreaker rules for Ninkasi too, with a coin flip at the end ( but very unlikely to ever reach that point ).

Hi Stephen,

We had 53 of 84 Canadian entries submitted (31 not submitted) in 2012 to the Final Round which is ~63%.  There were another 22 entries from all of the U.S. competitions (840 entries possible) that were no shows.  I know that some of the Canadian no shows were held up at Customs and returned to Canada, and I have to think the extra effort involved with shipping and having to get through Customs can be a deterrent to Canadians entering.

For the Ninkasi tiebreaker we have added 7 levels including the coin flip.  I'm fairly certain that we will never end up using the coin flip, but you never know.  I'm glad you caught Gary's interview on the Brewing Network!

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
AHA Project Coordinator

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 02:19:31 pm »
I love the 2 bottle requirement, though I'm sure anyone running the cellar might not agree with me.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 03:07:31 pm »
Boo to the coin flip.  If the other 6  tiebreakers can't determine a winner then we should have tie.

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 03:25:45 pm »
Boo to the coin flip.  If the other 6  tiebreakers can't determine a winner then we should have tie.

I think the coin flip only happens after the steel cage to the death match.  If by some chance both entrants come out of the cage alive then it is down to a coin flip.

or maybe step 6 was paper rock scissors and step 5 was the steel cage match.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 03:37:49 pm »
A steel cage match sounds fair.  I think the steel cage match is why Jamil and Gordon are no longer shooting for the Ninkasi.

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 03:44:21 pm »
I think the changes will be positive, except for as a steward, I don't relish having to deal with double the amount of bottles....imagine trying to find a beer's mate after a full 2 days of comp.....gives me the chills thinking about the logistics.

That and all the wasted beer....oh the horror!

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 11:29:00 pm »
I think the changes will be positive, except for as a steward, I don't relish having to deal with double the amount of bottles....imagine trying to find a beer's mate after a full 2 days of comp.....gives me the chills thinking about the logistics.

We don't waste beer in Seattle.

Did you see the last night of NHC?

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 06:38:09 am »

We don't waste beer in Seattle.

Did you see the last night of NHC?

That was a great idea putting out the left over bottles.  Are you the first to do that or does that happen every year? 
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------