Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kind of a Brutus 10 clone with RIMS, but it works for me  (Read 23618 times)

Offline dean_palmer

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Journals
Kind of a Brutus 10 clone with RIMS, but it works for me
« on: December 04, 2012, 01:32:58 pm »

Kettles are from Stout Tanks
50amp back to back control panel for electric, runs 2 vessels at a time. All three elements can run once all vessels are up to temp. (probably never needed)
5500w 240v elements for the kettle and HLT, 4500w in the RIMS tube.
Brewers Hardware RIMS tube mounted directly to the tri-clamp port on the mash tun.
For backup or cookouts, 3 banjo burners, one high power model under the brew kettle, manual control for propane.

One March 815 pump and one March AC-5SSB-MD Beer Pump
Two Blichmann Therminator chillers
Brewers Hardware trub/hop filter canister (so far useless and prone to clog)
Inline thermometer and oxygen stone after the chillers

I will weld up similar racks for local folks.

Just added the Stout Tanks 20 Gallon conical and kettle.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 01:27:10 pm by dean_palmer »

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Kind of a Brutus 10 clone with RIMS, but it works for me
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 02:59:21 pm »
Nice set up!  Jealous....
Dave Zach

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 03:01:28 pm »
Nice looking setup, Dean!
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 03:14:24 pm »
Very nice, Dean.  And you just made that stand last week, too.  Some people have way too much energy.

Do you chill the wort through two therminators directly to the fermenters?  If so, do you have one running ground water and one with ice water?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline dean_palmer

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Journals
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 06:12:59 am »
Very nice, Dean.  And you just made that stand last week, too.  Some people have way too much energy.

Do you chill the wort through two therminators directly to the fermenters?  If so, do you have one running ground water and one with ice water?

Hi Jeff :-)

Yeah, I welded this just over a week ago to get all the components up off the ground after so many years :-) Bought a new welder so I had motivation.

As for the chilling, I typically recirculate through chiller #1 with tap water, back to the kettle until the temp reaches about 100f. Then I swap out the garden hose with a submersible pump in ice water and keep recirculating until the kettle temp is near pitching (the output of the chiller typical 50-60F once ice water is connected), then pump to the fermenter. This way I hope to leave behind a lot more small particulate.

When I want to save time over wort clarity I hook the two chillers inline and can pump wort at pitch temps directly to the fermenter. I can also do this and recirculate to drop the kettle temps faster but it uses more ice.

I try not to use both for the wort loss, but with larger batches in the summer they are awesome together.

I'm currently waiting on a new 20g kettle from Stout Tanks, so 15g batches will become typical and the extra chill power will be welcome.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 06:15:58 am by dean_palmer »

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 09:30:02 am »

Hi Jeff :-)

Yeah, I welded this just over a week ago to get all the components up off the ground after so many years :-) Bought a new welder so I had motivation.

As for the chilling, I typically recirculate through chiller #1 with tap water, back to the kettle until the temp reaches about 100f. Then I swap out the garden hose with a submersible pump in ice water and keep recirculating until the kettle temp is near pitching (the output of the chiller typical 50-60F once ice water is connected), then pump to the fermenter. This way I hope to leave behind a lot more small particulate.

When I want to save time over wort clarity I hook the two chillers inline and can pump wort at pitch temps directly to the fermenter. I can also do this and recirculate to drop the kettle temps faster but it uses more ice.

I try not to use both for the wort loss, but with larger batches in the summer they are awesome together.

I'm currently waiting on a new 20g kettle from Stout Tanks, so 15g batches will become typical and the extra chill power will be welcome.

That's pretty much the same way I do it, too.  Run the wort through the heat exchanger back to the kettle at an angle that creates a whirlpool until the temp is down to 80 or so, then switch to ice water to get the rest of the way.
I just got a Blichmann Therminator and used it for the first time this past weekend.  Works very well, but it still takes a while (45 minutes?) to cool the whole batch in the kettle before going to the fermenters.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline dean_palmer

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Journals
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 12:36:51 pm »
I just got a Blichmann Therminator and used it for the first time this past weekend.  Works very well, but it still takes a while (45 minutes?) to cool the whole batch in the kettle before going to the fermenters.

I'll have to time it next brew and make specific notes as I don't recall it taking half that much time even on a single unit. I'm running the water full blast and the wort pump the same (as wort conditions allow). I've had these chillers for some years now and they have been great, but I have recently added a trub/hop filter (Brewers Hardware) as they did tend to collect debris on some sessions.

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
Kind of a Brutus 10 clone with RIMS, but it works for me
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 03:56:14 pm »
I assuming that the ranco controller controls the heat element in the rims tube?

Do you have any controls for modulating the element on and off or do the wires from the controller go straight on the leads for the element?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the Universe

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 09:37:56 am »
Bc my thought is to use a johnson control system like you use on fridge for temp control to control a 120 volt gas selnoid valve. The control would power the valve to modulate the gas on and off to a burner to adjust temp. when mashing.
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the Universe

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 10:52:09 am »
Very nice looking brewstand!  I'm sure you will be happy with the results. :)

Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 02:03:42 pm »
Nice!
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline dean_palmer

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Journals
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 08:27:31 am »
Just added the pic of the new 20 gallon kettle and conical. Probably going with the same company to replace the mash tun and HLT soon!

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 08:33:19 am »
Great looking setup and nice addition w/ the stout tank and conical!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 10:09:26 pm »
So shiney....great on my eyes  8)!
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline dean_palmer

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Journals
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 01:48:27 pm »
I assuming that the Ranco controller controls the heat element in the rims tube?

Do you have any controls for modulating the element on and off or do the wires from the controller go straight on the leads for the element?

<edit> just installed the full electric panel with 240v for all elements and PID control.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 11:40:18 am by dean_palmer »