Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I'm a rebel, Dotty, a loner...  (Read 5701 times)

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
I'm a rebel, Dotty, a loner...
« on: December 04, 2012, 06:12:42 pm »
Homeowners association rules say no grilling in the driveway, but they don't mention making homebrew...

But that's how I roll.

*Sent from the future using Tapatalk Quantum Edition*

Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: I'm a rebel, Dotty, a loner...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 08:11:32 pm »
God, I LOVE that movie!  Good to see ya taking it to heart.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 08:29:08 pm »
Hehe I was hoping someone would get the reference!

Offline neemox

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 12:11:24 am »
It does appear as though you are preparing your wort chiller to run through your radiator.... novel concept, I'm game.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 06:52:45 am »
Who needs glycol when you have a perfectly fine radiator?

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 07:17:03 am »
homeowner's associations bahhumbug
i am a fan of Duck dynasty and last night one of the boys had to go to the HOA because he was burning leaves on his driveway and had skinned a deer on the tailgate of his truck when kids were getting off the school bus.  so you boil and boil and boil Pee Wee, you boil
Don AHA member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 07:44:54 am »
Me too! 8)

I specifically bought in a neighborhood with NO Homeowner's Association. Not gonna have some nitpicky nosy SOB dictating to me what I should be doing and how I do it. I'm ok with the local ordinances which are a little restrictive- keep grass reasonably cut; can't keep chickens etc... but that can be considered normal. You really have to f'up to get a ticket. What they are strict about is building code compliance on new construction and renovations.

Pretty sure though the cops might pay me a visit if I were to brew in the driveway. Probably just to see what it was and would leave me alone after that.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 07:51:36 am »
Me too! 8)

I specifically bought in a neighborhood with NO Homeowner's Association. Not gonna have some nitpicky nosy SOB dictating to me what I should be doing and how I do it. I'm ok with the local ordinances which are a little restrictive- keep grass reasonably cut; can't keep chickens etc... but that can be considered normal. You really have to f'up to get a ticket. What they are strict about is building code compliance on new construction and renovations.

Pretty sure though the cops might pay me a visit if I were to brew in the driveway. Probably just to see what it was and would leave me alone after that.

I always worry when I'm weighing out bulk DME on the back porch.  Scale, powder, ziploc baggies.

No problems yet.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 08:13:17 am »
Not a fan of HOAs, but they do have their place.  We previously lived in a neighborhood w/out one, but when we had our daughter 3 yrs ago, we moved into our current neighborhood because of the amazing school system.  Our HOA is really flexible w/ normal rules regarding lawn care, farm animals, painting your house bright pink, etc...  Our HOA dues cover neighborhood landscaping, snow removal, garbage and recycle pickup and for the pool and rec area.  With the money, the HOA puts on several fun parties at the pool and lots of entertainment and functions for the kids such as carnivals, petting zoos, outdoor movies at the park and even a few parades.  So far, we feel we get a lot more out of our HOA than someone just telling us what to do and what not to do.

Then again, once my daughter is off to college, we'll find us a little spot up in the mountains where I can shoot my guns, put up a hops farm, grow a large garden, have multiple animals running around and not even see our neighbors!

Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 08:17:55 am »
homeowner's associations bahhumbug
i am a fan of Duck dynasty and last night one of the boys had to go to the HOA because he was burning leaves on his driveway and had skinned a deer on the tailgate of his truck when kids were getting off the school bus.  so you boil and boil and boil Pee Wee, you boil

That was a great episode.  The HOA meeting was hilarious.  "I brought a casserole!"  I was telling my wife that I would love to have that entire family as my neighbors.  Would never be a dull moment, that's for sure!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 08:22:15 am »
I'm in a townhouse so they do all of the outside stuff, maintain the pool, etc.

I don't see myself doing this again. I usually brew on the back screened in patio, but moving all my crap out there is a pain.

There was a police helicopter that flew over with a spotlight and I wondered what idiot called the cops thinking I was making meth.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 08:40:11 am »
God, I LOVE that movie!  Good to see ya taking it to heart.

I think I must have watched it 100+ times in my childhood.  My parents were a little worried.   :P

That was the president again. I've got to steal back the X1 before the Soviets find the secret compartment containing the microfilm. The future of the free world is riding on this one.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

narvin

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 08:42:25 am »
Simone: Do you have any dreams?
Pee-wee: Yeah, I'm all alone. I'm rolling a big doughnut and this snake wearing a vest...

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 09:10:02 am »

That was a great episode.  The HOA meeting was hilarious.  "I brought a casserole!"  I was telling my wife that I would love to have that entire family as my neighbors.  Would never be a dull moment, that's for sure!

my favorite is the big dinner and prayer at the end.  eating, drinking, and being merry with the family. 
Don AHA member

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 09:23:20 am »
I can't even imagine a place where people would tell me what I could and couldn't do on the property that I paid for. 
If I lived there I'd probably have a big ass pit smoker going in the driveway 24/7 just because.  I'm not really a jerk by nature but the concept just boggles my mind...

I removed a couple toilets last year and I threatened my wife that I was going to make a fountain out of them where water shot back and forth between the two and put it on the front lawn.  I think it would be cool but she thought the neighbours may not like the dueling bidets theme.