Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dryhopping in bags: Am I Oxidizing?  (Read 6465 times)

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Dryhopping in bags: Am I Oxidizing?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 02:43:52 pm »
i think the answer is to just get some weights.

FWIW, I do put the dryhops in when I get to about 1.014-1.018 or so, as per Matt Brynildson's advice - seems like a good idea.

I do both - dryhop at the end of primary then in the keg.

I've noticed more grassy/vegetal pickup when I'm dryhopping on the cold side. I'll normally rack into the keg on dryhops, and remove this charge in a few days (7 max) before it goes into the kegorator.

To get the hop bag out of the keg, I tie a fishing bobber to it with fishing line. (One I've never used for fishing)

Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 02:48:44 pm »
Yeah been dryhopping in the keg for years - great but can get grassy/vegetal.

Either I don't get that from dry hopping in the keg, or I don't notice it, or I must like it.  At any rate, I've never found it to be a problem.

I don't always - and generally speaking, I have felt the way you do in the past, but I have had some batches of IPA lately that were great at first, then had a grassy, vegetal-ness to them by mid-keg that I didn't care for.  I am really trying to capture that bright hop character that I get out of  Blind Pig or Stone, etc.  which is why I've been trying things out like whirlpooling/hop stands with HUGE late additions and then HUGE dryhop additions on top of that - I've definitely been too stingy with hops and with 20# plus in my freezer at any given time, its silly to not give things a go.

Just experimenting with different methods - may go back to the old way of just keg hopping if I find I prefer the results that way.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 03:03:14 pm »
I had a problem finding something to sink the bag in my fermetnter. My solution was to take a bottle and fill it with sand, add water and cap. I put the bottle in the gain bag and the hops (whole leaf) aroung the bottle.
So far it has worked well.
John
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 04:33:40 pm »
Paul, this may be the same thing I've been experiencing with my hoppy beers, a grassy, vegetal flavor.  I dumped two beers last week that turned out that way. Trying to figure out the same issue, myself.
Jesse

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 06:01:45 pm »
Heh Blatz. 
I was looking for some panty hose the other day and though about you. :o

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 07:02:56 pm »
Heh Blatz. 
I was looking for some panty hose the other day and though about you. :o

As long as you were only visualizing me stuffing them with tons of simcoe, chinook and Amarillo that's good!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 05:49:03 am »
I used stainless tea balls with good result.  My beers don't generally last long enough to get vegetal this way (pellets), but I also beer gun a batch into bottles if it sits a while longer than I want or to open up a slot on the fridge.  Never seem to have a problem, but maybe my palate is not too discerning.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dean_palmer

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Journals
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 11:35:56 am »
I dry hop in the serving keg with stainless steel keg valve balls in the bag, and a string tied to the underside of the lid for easy removal. Would work the same for conicals.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 12:08:05 pm »
I like that arrangement with the SS clamp to hold it in place!  I will have to try that!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"