Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2 questions  (Read 9016 times)

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
Re: 2 questions
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 12:40:52 pm »
Wonder if you could bitter with citrus peels. Anyone?
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 07:20:00 pm »

The dry bitter orange at the HBS looks like whole peel. I've heard wit traditionally isn't orangy because the peel mostly provides bitterness.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 07:43:31 pm »

The dry bitter orange at the HBS looks like whole peel. I've heard wit traditionally isn't orangy because the peel mostly provides bitterness.

True dat.  You could use regular orange peels for bittering.  If you wanted to eliminate the potential for any orange flavor whatsoever you could use a good potato peeler to remove the rind and just use the pith for bittering. 

I think bitter orange has more pectin than regular orange which would be beneficial if you want your beer to be cloudy too.

Offline brewlikeamonkey

• Cellarman
  • Cheesehead
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 08:30:50 pm »
Thanks for all the useful info so far.  I want to brew soon, so spruce is out of the question since it is winter (I think).  Orange peel sounds like it may work.  What I am going to do is try to brew a batch out of just common ingredients that I can get at the store or find.  I am looking at Grape Nuts as a grain option because one of the ingredients in it is malted barley.   I am still wondering about things like flax seed, wheat germ, and other kinds of cereals.
Mike

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 11:41:09 pm »
Thanks for all the useful info so far.  I want to brew soon, so spruce is out of the question since it is winter (I think).  Orange peel sounds like it may work.  What I am going to do is try to brew a batch out of just common ingredients that I can get at the store or find.  I am looking at Grape Nuts as a grain option because one of the ingredients in it is malted barley.   I am still wondering about things like flax seed, wheat germ, and other kinds of cereals.

I've said it before. And It's possible I will say it again... ovaltine!!!!! the plane flavour is just DME with a little anti clumping agent and maybe some kind of surfactant. perfect for making a grocery store brew.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 09:19:47 am »

True dat.  You could use regular orange peels for bittering.  If you wanted to eliminate the potential for any orange flavor whatsoever you could use a good potato peeler to remove the rind and just use the pith for bittering. 

I think bitter orange has more pectin than regular orange which would be beneficial if you want your beer to be cloudy too.
Ah, but I've got a small obsession with that orange flavor right now. With Amarillo in short supply, a bunch of peels might be the next best thing.
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 09:30:09 am »

During the hop crisis Mike O'Brian (the eastern Brewguyver) made a colonial beer bittered with lemon peels (maybe something else). It worked.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 10:15:37 am »
ovaltine!!!!!
That's intreguing.

good potato peeler
For wits, I use a potato peeler with serrated blades. It easily cuts nice thin slices off the rind.

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline brewlikeamonkey

• Cellarman
  • Cheesehead
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 07:50:31 pm »
I've said it before. And It's possible I will say it again... ovaltine!!!!! the plane flavour is just DME with a little anti clumping agent and maybe some kind of surfactant. perfect for making a grocery store brew.

Excellent!   :D  Thanks for the recommendation.  I will definitely include some Ovaltine in the recipe.  And I really hate anything citrus in my food, but my beer is another story so I will probably bitter with orange peel.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 11:42:21 am by dbeechum »
Mike

Offline brewlikeamonkey

• Cellarman
  • Cheesehead
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 08:45:28 pm »
Ok, I did the Ovaltine brew and... yuck!!!  The stuff smelled alright when boiling, with the malty cocoa-like flavor mixing with the orange peels, but now that it is fermenting it just smells like something awful.  I will let it ferment and then try it, and then I will probably just dump it.  And by the way, this brew was probably more expensive than just using DME.  Oh well, I wasn't planning on anything spectacular, I just like messing around to see what I can, and can not do.   ;)
Mike

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 09:14:52 pm »
Ok, I did the Ovaltine brew and... yuck!!!  The stuff smelled alright when boiling, with the malty cocoa-like flavor mixing with the orange peels, but now that it is fermenting it just smells like something awful.  I will let it ferment and then try it, and then I will probably just dump it.  And by the way, this brew was probably more expensive than just using DME.  Oh well, I wasn't planning on anything spectacular, I just like messing around to see what I can, and can not do.   ;)

I didn't say it would be good! did you use the plane ovaltine or the chocolate? I am curious to hear how it actually turns out!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 07:20:05 am »
at the lhbs last year they had a keg of peanut butter chocolate stout.  was okay for about the one ounce in the sample but after that not so much
Don AHA member

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2012, 07:41:49 am »
I have never (and likely, will never) use Ovaltine in a beer but I did make a Grape Nut Brown Ale once.  It turned out pretty well.  I really couldn't pickup much from the Grape Nuts but the novelty got people to try it.   :)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, 07:58:35 am »

Years ago I tried brewing a batch with whatever I could get at the local health food store (LHFS?).  They actually had (and maybe still have) a syrupy sweetener that was made from malted grain and rice.  If I recall, there were a couple different products like this.  But boy were they expensive.

I still have a jar of one of them somewhere.  If I can remember I'll snap a pic and upload it.  Obviously, they didn't make great beer or I would have fermented that jar long ago.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline brewlikeamonkey

• Cellarman
  • Cheesehead
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 11:38:22 am »

I didn't say it would be good! did you use the plane ovaltine or the chocolate? I am curious to hear how it actually turns out!
I did use the plain malt Ovaltine, but it still has a sort of cocoa taste and smell to it.
Mike