General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

2 questions

<< < (5/7) > >>

anje:

--- Quote from: kramerog on December 06, 2012, 07:43:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on December 06, 2012, 07:20:00 PM ---
--- Quote from: anje on December 06, 2012, 12:40:52 PM ---Wonder if you could bitter with citrus peels. Anyone?

--- End quote ---

The dry bitter orange at the HBS looks like whole peel. I've heard wit traditionally isn't orangy because the peel mostly provides bitterness.

--- End quote ---

True dat.  You could use regular orange peels for bittering.  If you wanted to eliminate the potential for any orange flavor whatsoever you could use a good potato peeler to remove the rind and just use the pith for bittering. 

I think bitter orange has more pectin than regular orange which would be beneficial if you want your beer to be cloudy too.

--- End quote ---
Ah, but I've got a small obsession with that orange flavor right now. With Amarillo in short supply, a bunch of peels might be the next best thing.

hopfenundmalz:

--- Quote from: anje on December 06, 2012, 12:40:52 PM ---Wonder if you could bitter with citrus peels. Anyone?

--- End quote ---

During the hop crisis Mike O'Brian (the eastern Brewguyver) made a colonial beer bittered with lemon peels (maybe something else). It worked.

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on December 06, 2012, 11:41:09 PM ---ovaltine!!!!!

--- End quote ---
That's intreguing.

--- Quote from: kramerog on December 06, 2012, 07:43:31 PM ---good potato peeler

--- End quote ---
For wits, I use a potato peeler with serrated blades. It easily cuts nice thin slices off the rind.

mudman:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on December 06, 2012, 11:41:09 PM ---I've said it before. And It's possible I will say it again... ovaltine!!!!! the plane flavour is just DME with a little anti clumping agent and maybe some kind of surfactant. perfect for making a grocery store brew.

--- End quote ---

Excellent!   :D  Thanks for the recommendation.  I will definitely include some Ovaltine in the recipe.  And I really hate anything citrus in my food, but my beer is another story so I will probably bitter with orange peel.

mudman:
Ok, I did the Ovaltine brew and... yuck!!!  The stuff smelled alright when boiling, with the malty cocoa-like flavor mixing with the orange peels, but now that it is fermenting it just smells like something awful.  I will let it ferment and then try it, and then I will probably just dump it.  And by the way, this brew was probably more expensive than just using DME.  Oh well, I wasn't planning on anything spectacular, I just like messing around to see what I can, and can not do.   ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version