General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

2 questions

<< < (2/7) > >>

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: erockrph on December 05, 2012, 10:51:05 AM ---I don't know why anyone would want a beer without hops, but there is a whole list of herbs that could potentially be used for bitterness in Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher. They won't necessarily share hops' preservative qualities, however.

--- End quote ---

hops are a pretty recent addition to brewing, lot's of other herbs have been used and many of them have the same preservative qualities of hops. The book Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers by Stephen Harrod Buhner is a great resource for ideas for non 'traditional' brewing ingredients (although many of these ingredients have a much longer and older history than the 'traditional' ones)

neemox:
If you are interested in non-hop bittering, I would definitely suggest reading up on Gruit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruit as a starting place.

As Morticai points out, hops is the new comer in beer.

denny:
And I'd suggest trying to find a commercial non hop beer before you brew one.  You just might not like it.

kramerog:
I think the recommendation is to keep the DP (diastasic power?) over 50 for mashing.  As an example, 6-row barley has a DP of ~150, IIRC, while unmalted wheat has a DP of 0.  Therefore, a mix of 1 part 6-row and 2 parts unmalted wheat would have the minimum DP of 50 for mashing.

micsager:
I was under the impression that in America, "beer" MUST contain hops.  I say this because a local nano does make a beer with nettles, but they ahve to put about 1/2 ounce of hops in or they call it "beer." 

(at least that's what the brewer told me)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version