Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hopping levels to balance a big milk stout  (Read 6874 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Hopping levels to balance a big milk stout
« on: December 05, 2012, 09:29:44 am »
I'm gonna try my first big beer.  I wanna do a big Imperial milk stout but I'm getting caught up in the amount of hops to use.
Here's the grain bill:
12 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb C120
8 oz Roasted Barley
8 oz Pale Chocolate
4 oz Black Patent
1 lb lactose
1 lb sucrose (caramelized before adding to boil kettle).
Vanilla bean added after initial fermentation subsides.

Beersmith says about 1.100 for a 5 gal batch.  I was going to just use Magnum instead of EKG because there is no flavour addition and if I just want bitter, Magnum would be easier.  I'm thinking 1 oz of 13.5% AA US Magnum for an anticipated 33 IBU but is that enough to balance that much malt?  I know it's supposed to be sweet, I just don't want syrup.

It's going onto a large pitch of WLP007 that I have ready.  Beersmith is telling me estimated FG of 1.013 which I don't believe for a second with that much malt and lactose.  I do not yet have a way to oxygenate this wort besides the shaking method.  I know that probably won't be sufficient but I've been unsuccessful finding an affordable O2 option (I haven't found those little tanks in the hardware store that you guys all seem to be able to get).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:34:33 am by gmac »

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
Re: Hopping levels to balance a big milk stout
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 10:29:02 am »
I would think that recipe could handle up to 60 IBUs but that may just be me.  I recently brewed an Oatmeal stout that was only 1.055 OG but came in at around 40 IBUs and was quite nicely balanced.

As far as the O2 containers, if you have a Lowes they are in the tool section over by the welding equipment.
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 01:33:18 pm »
If I were a bettin' man I'd put money on ~1.020 FG due to the pound of C120 & a pound of lactose. IMO, that's where I like them to be anyway. It is a Sweet Stout and you're really not looking to balance it with the hops. 60 IBU's might be okay. I'd probably stick with the ~33 IBU's or just a skosh more...  YMMV.  I wouldn't be afraid to put a pound of Chocolate in it either. Personal preference I guess. Love that chocolate... Cheers!!!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 01:37:16 pm by hamiltont »
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 02:07:10 pm »
I'd guess a higher FG too. Beersmith doesn't seem to account for the fermentability of ingredients.

I'm doing an RIS from the Sept/Oct 2010 Zymurgy. It has an OG of 1.090 and 39 IBU.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 05:09:21 pm »
I just opened my fridge and saw that the RIS also uses magnum hops.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 07:22:48 pm »
I'll shoot for 40 IBU's (maybe 40 grams of Magnum or so).
Thanks all.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 07:51:36 pm »
I'll shoot for 40 IBU's (maybe 40 grams of Magnum or so).
Thanks all.

What's a gram?  ;)
AHA Member since 2006

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 11:16:12 pm »
If you want residual sweetness, why are you adding sucrose which will just dry it out?  Lactose isn't all that sweet.

I think 40 IBUs is a good target.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 07:03:55 am »
If you want residual sweetness, why are you adding sucrose which will just dry it out?  Lactose isn't all that sweet.

I'm going for that "creme brulee" sort of thing.  That's why I'm going to caramelize the sugar first in hopes of getting some burnt sugar type flavours.  May not work but I figured I'd give it a try.  I know the sugar will dry it out but I figured with a lb of lactose and a lb of C120 I would still get some sweetness. 
Plus, I did want to get the alcohol up a bit.  Maybe I should go with 1/2 a lb of caramelized sucrose for the flavour aspect and see if I get what I'm after without drying it out too much.  But, the goal is toasted marshmallow more than anything else (note the vanilla bean in there too).

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Re: Hopping levels to balance a big milk stout
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 07:31:25 am »

I'm going for that "creme brulee" sort of thing.  That's why I'm going to caramelize the sugar first in hopes of getting some burnt sugar type flavours.  May not work but I figured I'd give it a try.  I know the sugar will dry it out but I figured with a lb of lactose and a lb of C120 I would still get some sweetness. 
Plus, I did want to get the alcohol up a bit.  Maybe I should go with 1/2 a lb of caramelized sucrose for the flavour aspect and see if I get what I'm after without drying it out too much.  But, the goal is toasted marshmallow more than anything else (note the vanilla bean in there too).

Maybe one of the lighter Candi Syrups may get you what you're looking for?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 07:33:19 am »
I made a milk stout for a wedding this fall. The best one i have ever made by far. 39.5 IBU with a 1.059 OG, so that would give a BU:GU ratio of around .67

The reduced hopping is what gives the bigger impression of sweetness.
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 07:34:42 am »

Just a thought.... Rather than the caramelized sucrose you might consider taking a gallon of the wort & boiling it separately, reducing it down to a pint or so of syrup. I do this with my Strong Scotch Ales. May not be exactly what you're looking for but I thought I'd throw it out there...  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 08:13:29 am »

Just a thought.... Rather than the caramelized sucrose you might consider taking a gallon of the wort & boiling it separately, reducing it down to a pint or so of syrup. I do this with my Strong Scotch Ales. May not be exactly what you're looking for but I thought I'd throw it out there...  Cheers!!!
Exactly what I was going to suggest. Or if you get some DME you can boil it down ahead of time.

Also, I think you need 2 vanilla beans if you're going for creme brulee.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 09:59:07 am »
Can't you reduce and carmelize sweetened condensed milk?

Would this give you what you're looking for?

I think it's more like dulce de leche than creme brulee, but throw in the vanilla and who will know?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 11:43:28 am »
I made a milk stout for a wedding this fall. The best one i have ever made by far. 39.5 IBU with a 1.059 OG, so that would give a BU:GU ratio of around .67

The reduced hopping is what gives the bigger impression of sweetness.
Funny, I did one that had a 1.060 OG and 21 IBU that is very popular.  There's a range that works obviously. :)
Tom Schmidlin