Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Indian Brown Ale  (Read 3233 times)

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Indian Brown Ale
« on: December 24, 2012, 08:47:42 am »
I brewed a clone of DFH Indian Brown Ale a few weeks ago from a recipe I found in Zymurgy.  I can spot a few errors in my procedure that I will change before I brew it again.  One I noticed right away was that I don't think it should be dry hopped.  Sam says on the website that it is dry hopped similarly to the 60 & 90 minute IPAs, but the aroma from mine seems a bit too strong for this beer.  I don't get the aroma from the actual beer.

Also, I didn't caramelize the brown sugar, I just added the brown sugar at the end of the boil.  I can definitely taste the brown sugar.  I used the Ringwood Ale yeast.  I read this yeast needs a d-rest so I attempted it.  Unfortunately, temps were crazy that week and I don't know if I was able to get it high enough for the d-rest.  Fortunately, the brown sugar flavor is masking any diacetyl because I can't taste it.

I'm thinking about trying this one again, but maybe simply using a 1056 or S-05.  Also, I think I'll skip the dry hopping and stick to the warrior and vanguard in the boil.  Any thoughts?  Will this beer get better with some age, maybe lose some of the strong hop aroma and brown sugar flavor?
Trey W.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Re: Indian Brown Ale
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 11:06:06 am »
If you want to keep the English character, but not have to worry about a D-rest or attenuation you could try WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast?

I prefer my Indian Brown's to be dry hopped. In Stan's book "For the Love of Hops," they have DFH's Indian Brown recipe.  Hops are as:
Warrior 33 IBUs
Simcoe 17IBUS at WP/flameout (probably calculate as 15-20min addition)
Vanguard 0.5lbs/Barrel

My Indian Brown is hopped with a ton of Simcoe/Amarril 50:50 blend.

Another good Indian Brown is Mike "Tasty" McDole's Janet Brown.

Just my $0.02 ;D

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 11:13:08 am »
The dry hop aroma will fade with time. It could be that you're not used to drinking Indian Brown as fresh as it is when you brew it yourself.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 03:16:56 pm »
The dry hop aroma will fade with time. It could be that you're not used to drinking Indian Brown as fresh as it is when you brew it yourself.

Exactly what I was thinking
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 08:46:30 pm »

I can attest to this...had some fresh Lagunitas Brown Shugga and then some that was old...huge difference. Both good beers but the fresh one was awesome!
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 12:59:28 pm »
How quickly would it fade? Could it fade a noticeable amount in a week or two?
Jesse

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Indian Brown Ale
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 06:18:46 pm »
How quickly would it fade? Could it fade a noticeable amount in a week or two?

This did actually work. The hop aroma faded within a couple of days. Beer is good, but there is some weird aftertaste that I can't put my finger on.  I've never tasted diacetyl, and I don't think it tastes like butter or butterscotch.  It does have a noticeable amount of brown sugar flavor. Everyone that has had it likes it. Maybe it's all in my head.
Trey W.