Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Recipe help please  (Read 15452 times)

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Re: Recipe help please
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2012, 07:39:33 pm »
I'd like to add...people detect bitter things differently. I'm not a "bitter taster" (I've tested with those paper test strips plus my DNA shows that I'm likely not a bitter taster) but I wonder if there's something about Summit that some people detect that I can't. My wife isn't supposed to be a bitter taster either but when she tried the test strips she was able to taste something when I couldn't.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline aviking427

• Cellarman
  • Pound Ridge, NY
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2012, 08:36:06 pm »
I've used Summit and actually like it. There are a few hops that if you use too much, you get onion, or cat piss or some nasty flavors. Summit is one. Use it sparingly, don't over due it and I think it can add some wonderful flavors and aromas. As a matter of fact, try using it as an aroma hop at knockout or a flavor hop at 15. Just don't go throwing in half a pound per 5 gallons of it. Think of cooking. Some spices give a lot with a little and have amazing flavors but if you use too much of it, it kills the meal. Not all hops should or can be used in the same amounts as others.
Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 06:28:39 am »
So Summit is the saffron of the hop world?

I'd love to see someone do the experiment to determine the threshold of stankiness, or otherwise isolate that character.  Or if it is taster-dependent on some genetic basis.  I know people who say green bell peppers taste like gasoline and others who say cilantro tastes like soap.  So I'm willing to accept that some people will sense things differently, perhaps due to blind spots for certain chemicals.  I know the phenomenon exists; I just don't know if that's what's at play here, or if it's a simple concentration of chemical issue.

I like tangerines; I would use a hop that had that character.  Sweaty socks?  Not so much.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2012, 06:34:21 am »
I like tangerines; I would use a hop that had that character.  Sweaty socks?  Not so much.

I guess the takeaway from this is if some people don't taste it the way others do, then better to not use it if you're looking to compete with it or sell it.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2012, 10:23:19 am »
I'm gearing up to brew in the next few days and I think I'll just do the Griffin Spit recipe.  We'll see....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2012, 12:33:31 pm »
I guess the takeaway from this is if some people don't taste it the way others do, then better to not use it if you're looking to compete with it or sell it.

The beauty of being a homebrewer. You don't have to do either and just keep it all to yourself.

BTW I get the savory/onion flavor with Nelson Sauvin hops. Thing is, in small quantities its nice! I just ease up on them during dryhopping.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline aviking427

• Cellarman
  • Pound Ridge, NY
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2012, 03:22:45 pm »
So Summit is the saffron of the hop world?

Sorry, just getting to this. Yes, in my personal opinion summit and a few others are just like saffron, great for adding flavor but don't use much. I'm sure to catch hell for this but I put citra in this same category.

i

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Recipe help please
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2012, 09:46:30 am »
I agree on the Citra....I just haven't been able to develop a taste for them.

I brewed an all late hop Summit IPA yesterday just to see what happens.  I'll dry hop it with another oz. of Summit.  I'll report in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Recipe help please
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2012, 11:40:27 am »
i am a well known citra hater. ;) Actually, it can be pleasant when used with a light hand. But I have a pound in my freezer that has been there unopened all year and I just can bring myself to using it.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2012, 09:05:12 pm »
i am a well known citra hater. ;) Actually, it can be pleasant when used with a light hand. But I have a pound in my freezer that has been there unopened all year and I just can bring myself to using it.

Well, you couldn't possibly use up a whole pound within a reasonable time frame if you feel the need to use a light hand with them. I will gladly take some off your hands if you'd like.  ;)

But seriously, I love Citra but I don't think I'd ever use it as the sole aroma/flavor hop in a beer. It's killer in combination with Amarillo though. Of course, everything is killer in combination with Amarillo.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline aviking427

• Cellarman
  • Pound Ridge, NY
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2013, 06:25:46 pm »
I agree on the Citra....I just haven't been able to develop a taste for them.

I brewed an all late hop Summit IPA yesterday just to see what happens.  I'll dry hop it with another oz. of Summit.  I'll report in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey Denny, I'm going to brew with summit this weekend and remembered this past conversation. How did the all late hop addition turn out? Its been a while so if you don't remember no worries.